• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Everyone needs a military truck corner!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm growing hedges now so I can park all my trucks in the back yard. I don't want unhappy neighbors, so until I can block their view, no military truck corner for me... yet.

ke5eua

It's simple, if the neighbor doesn't like the sight I would politely tell them they don't have to look. But when they do let it be a reminder of all the ones who have fallen to give you the freedom you have today. If they still had a problem I would call them unpatriotic and walk away the better man.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to play nice since I am in a HOA. I have blocked view from the street per HOA rules, but want to keep neighbors happy so I don't get harassed. Bushes are planted and growing, In a year or two they will be tall enough to block view, and keep everyone happy.

I do have neighbors who like the trucks, or at least do not mind them, but best to keep everyone happy.

ke5eua

HOA's are unpatriotic as it gets IMHO. That's why I'm in the process of buying land and if I want to paint my house hot pink, I will, not that I would, but I could.

FrankUSMC

Mike. you have the right attitude. If you fight, and be stupid, you will lose the war. I lived in the suburbs for 20 years, and at one time had over 30 plus military vehicles (been at this for over 30 years). If you work with the town or HOA, you might come out on top. I have done it, but like you, you got to have the right attitude.
Good luck.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Carlo

I have to play nice since I am in a HOA. I have blocked view from the street per HOA rules, but want to keep neighbors happy so I don't get harassed. Bushes are planted and growing, In a year or two they will be tall enough to block view, and keep everyone happy.

I do have neighbors who like the trucks, or at least do not mind them, but best to keep everyone happy.
What is a HOA?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home Owners Association. Basically the neighborhood has additional "codes" over and beyond city codes. e.g., probably couldn't paint your house hot pink or any other extreme color, as noted above.

Carlo

WOW I'm surprised to hear of this in the USA. I thought we had restrictions here but thank God we don't have someone telling me I can't park what I own at my house!
even if you had a shed and no one could see the truck?

ke5eua

Yeah hoa is horrible. You can only mow your lawn in certain times and has to be a certain length, Christmas light can only be set up a certain date and down a certain date.

I'm glad I live in a neighborhood were we don't have an hoa.

m715mike

Problem is I went to a corner to a yard.
Sir, I fail to see the problem...

HOA's are unpatriotic as it gets IMHO. That's why I'm in the process of buying land and if I want to paint my house hot pink, I will, not that I would, but I could.
Ugh, if you do that - HOA or not - I'm coming over with a paint brush and bucket of OD Green paint...

WOW I'm surprised to hear of this in the USA. I thought we had restrictions here but thank God we don't have someone telling me I can't park what I own at my house!
even if you had a shed and no one could see the truck?
My HOA actually has rules as to how large our sheds can be. I can not build an out building (sheds included) that is large enough to house my Deuce without special approval from the Board. That being said, I like my neighborhood and agreed to the rules by virtue of buying my home. So my truck lives in a storage unit 5 miles away.

Now back to the OP... Okay, you have me jealous... :drool::drool::drool:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm actually growing Neil Stevens Holly along the fence line. It is suppose to grow about 3' per year and will make a very tight/clean hedge.

First year it only grew about a foot or so, but should speed up now that the roots are established.

Merc1973

Bamboo & Kudzu
Kudzu can easily get out of control, I'm not a fan, but thanks.

silver leaf elaeagnus stays green year round grows up to 6' a year
I'm actually growing Neil Stevens Holly along the fence line. It is suppose to grow about 3' per year and will make a very tight/clean hedge.

First year it only grew about a foot or so, but should speed up now that the roots are established.
Thanks, I may try either of those. [thumbzup]

FloridaAKM

Either of the Kudzu & running bamboo will cause you a world of trouble if you live in the South. The running bamboo will take over a lot of area if you don't keep it cut back. The Kudzu can grow up to 3 feet a day in hot weather, so you might want to rethink those two choices!

Bighurt

Just so everyone is clear my recommendations where two of the fastest growing I could think of but neither are a practical solution. Much of the south is infested with Kudzu, and Bamboo being a grass tends to spread rather quickly. Not an issue in our temperate climate.

There are far better choices. I recommend talking to a local nursery, cuttings a seedlings can be had much cheaper and usually come with suggestions and sound advice. Not always your nursery will vary on education level and knowledge much as many other industries. Cut out the big box store middle man with next to zero knowledge salesman.