• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Receiver Hitch Build for the Deuce

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked at the threads for rear receiver hitches, on Esmerelda I just bought a 34" wide one for a Chevy pickup.

Parking shorter wheelbase trailers is pretty tough with the deuce, so I decided to build a front receiver hitch.

I didn't make any drawings like usual, but I did take some pictures to post, and can give a partial bill of materials.

I used the existing holes in the front of the frame, taking out the two 5/8" bolts in the front and replacing them with longer bolts.

The easiest way to build one like this is to cut two pieces of angle 4"x4"x1/4" thick, 6" long for frame brackets. For the cross tube, use whatever you want, I used 2 1/2" .25 wall tubing and cut it a little over 28" long. If you buy a cut piece, get it 29" and cut it to fit after you have the brackets mounted on the frame as your bracket placement may vary from mine.

For gussets, you can use any 1/4" plate you can scrounge, the exact size doesn't matter, I used what was laying behind the shear in the drop pile. I had the holes drilled as I don't have a drill press, and the ones in the back had to be slotted out.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued:

The bottom of the hitch ended up being 32" high. A lower hitch would have been better for intended use, but would have looked ugly sticking down lower, and could possibly interfere with stump jumping, so I elected to tuck it up under the bumper. I painted it with my favorite clean metal primer, a high solids primer from Tacoma Screw www.tacomascrew.com their rattlecans are amazing. They cover well in one coat. I am going to try and talk them in to putting up 383 green in rattle cans. Finish coat is 383 green from Milspray www.milspray.com not cheap, but it is a really good coating.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So besides parking trailers, I would like to be able to haul my motorcycles on a hitch carrier. My KTM 950 is too tall to get in the back under the roof bows so I figure I am stuck with a hitch carrier or a trailer. My wife came outside to see what I was up to. I told her of my plans to build a hitch carrier. She is way smarter than me and suggested I use the Joe Hauler carrier we have, turn it upside down, and weld or bolt on a track on the other side. That looks like it will work.

I am too fond of my KTM to put it in the front of the truck :wink: but I can use the rack in front to haul one of the Honda Trail 90s. I will need to build a longer load ramp, that is in progress.

Attachments

Coldfusion21

I had opened this thread and opened some of the pictures in other tabs. I went to look at them later and was like hey...that looks a lot like an oregon plate. Sure enough. I'm just a town over, and would love to help wrench on a truck if you ever need an extra hand.

Hitch looks good, but hopefully you meant this was just for your trail 90's and not the KTM.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hitch looks good, but hopefully you meant this was just for your trail 90's and not the KTM.
Front hitch will haul Trail 90. Rear hitch can handle the KTM 950.

I'm just a town over, and would love to help wrench on a truck if you ever need an extra hand.
Cool! There is at least one other deuce in Tualatin, right across Boones Ferry from me. I will send you a PM with phone number.