• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen 1 not charging

rednckii

So got my alternator rebuilt and put it on the truck no gen lights. Ripped apart whole dash cleaned and replaced everything all good. Still not charging battery followed wires and replaced the gp relay and it worked everything charging and ready to go. Flash forward a week and now nothing not putting out volts just reads what the battery is at. What is easist way to test the fusible links and is there anything else to look for getting confused tracing the same stuff over and over. The guy at the rebuild shop sai i could bring it over but rather fix in house only way im gonna learn so here i am asking the cucv gods let themsmile upon me..rofl

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

Pull the two pin exciter plug from the driverside alternator.

Check for voltage at the wires.

12v at the red wire all the time.
0v at the brown wire with the key off
12v at the brown wire with the key on

Chances are the plug is very dirty and grimey. A can of Electrical Contact Cleaner and an old toothbrush will work wonders. If the plug is really bad, you can replace it. Any autoparts house will have a replacemet. Only thing is the wire colors are different.

You can also check the alternator in the vehicle.

Buy a replacement plug, twist the wires together, add an exrention wire long enoght to reach the positive terminal of the front battery.

With the two pin plug removed, install the "jumper" plug and attach to the front battery positive terminal.

Starte the truck and check the voltage at the alternator and the battery. It should be reading 14+ volts.

All of this has been covered many times. Usually I would suggest you search for it but I am working late tonight and I'm feeling generous....:p

Barrman wrote a great step-by-step trouble shooting of the charging system.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/54292-cucv-alternator-symptoms-diagnosis-fix.html

rednckii

ill check the plug again checked it earlier and it read o off and 12 on same as the battery was. Gonna tear into it again tomorrow and go from there ill check the plug had an idea about it but just wanted all the options out there. The search function is my friend its what i used the first time then it did it again so though id ask. I love my green iron but its turning into a love affair if you ask the wife thanks for the advice ill update tommorrow morn.

rednckii

Started checking into the system everything looked good replaced wires and still same thing. Checked the belts and they all looked good just the one for gen one looked a little worn and was at the limit for the adjuster. Got a new belt an put it on everything good to go just feel like an idiot now. But oh well lesson learned sometimes its the littlle things that give the biggest headache.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks