• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glad hand Seals, New design or multiple styles?

peashooter

I just hooked up the m105a2 brakes yesterday and noticed I had a slight leak from the Red emergency side glad hand on the truck. The black rubber seal was a little chewed up so I just went to Napa to get some new ones. They had red and blue in stock so I bought 3 of each.
The new ones have a different design than the original one that I just pulled out. My question is, are these a new "improved" design that will work with the existing glad hands on the truck and trailer. Or are there different style seals out there, and I need to find one that looks identical?

Below pic shows the original one I just removed on the left, the one in the middle and right are the new replacements I bought. The original one is a fair amount larger in diameter and just has a single step, the new ones look more like grommets and have a recess in the middle

Attachments

Last edited:

Triple C

The new ones are the current design for commercial use and I would expect they will work fine. Just make sure the glad hand is clean and your seal is pliable. If it leaks a bit on contact give it a minute for the seal to conform to the shape of the receiver. There are several makes with a bit of design differences but as far as I know, they all have the recess in the middle now.

quickfarms

Different manufacturers make them a little different. When you put them in make sure the sealing surface in the glad hand is clean and it is not full of junk.

When you connect look at the glad hand and run you glove over the sealing surface to remove the dust and check for defects.

I always carry a bag if the black ones in the truck. They tend to disappear like socks in the drier

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you install them correctly. The wider flange goes INSIDE the glad hand. They are made out of a slick plastic, and the seals wear and seal better then the old rubber ones.

peashooter

The new seals went on fine with a little silicone grease (dielectric is all I had handy) and fixed the leaks. The glad hands fit much tighter now also (which is a good thing). Thanks again for all the help