• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug module removal

DokWatson

I installed a manual switch and figured I would pull the card and sell it to someone who would use it. From reading the TM it looks like it should just pull right out, I removed the end cap and reefed on it pretty hard and it wouldn't budge. Am I missing something painfully obvious here? I'd hate to break it using pliers or something.

Last edited:

1stSarge

On high quality industrial electronic circuit boards, they usually put extraction holes or handles on them . Take a look at the rear of the card, there are holes in it. These are meant to insert a tool into and remove. They do get sticky sometimes, and to use pliers or whatnot, can damage it as there are small traces along the edge.

If you have a hook tool, (like for taking out o-rings) or even an Allen wrench, held with pliers, can hook it and pull it out.

Attachments

DokWatson

Didn't need any, its really easy.

1. Find the light blue wire coming out of the glow plug card, it is in between the purple wire, and dark blue wire. You can't miss it.

2. Get a wire splice connector and splice a wire into the light blue wire.

3. Run the wire you connected to the light blue wire to the power end of a switch. I used an always off, momentary on push button switch. This switch is ideal so you can't forget to turn the glow plugs off. (The CUCV wait light only comes on ONCE with the module installed, cycling the plugs with the switch after the wait light goes off will not turn it back on. Removing the glow plug card disables the wait light. Its very easy to not realize the plugs are cooking if you don't use a momentary ON switch.)

4. Run a ground from the opposite end of the switch to the body.

I know the switch is working because I can hear very clearly the relay clicking on and off as I press and release the button with the key in the RUN position.

There you have it, a manual glow plug switch. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. You can leave the card in and everything will work the same as it did without the switch. The key still needs to be in the run position to use the switch. You can remove the card from the holder and just use the switch, which is what I am doing.

Last edited: