• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

go prepared

isaacucv

I will start by saying I am impressed by this truck, stock. My 08 is my 6th old chevy truck, all the others were 1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks. They are all great but this thing is tough! My girlfriend and I took it out for a day of exploring at a local coal mining site. We have been there several times before and are familiar with the trails. We went over and around rocks and dirt pile to test the skid plates. They work well. We found a new trail used only by atv's and gave it a try. It was tight though, with a lot of trees to work around. We got stuck in mud up to the bumper in the front. It took us two hours to get it out, with the help of a couple on a grizzly 600. I wasn't properly prepared to be there and if they didn't come along, we would still be there. I had a shovel, an axe and my high lift jack and a few chains. These items are always in the truck. I need better tires and a lift on this truck asap. Maybe a winch in the future? Also I need to get one of my friends to buy one of these trucks to go with me. Overall I didn't break anything, and only put a dent in the door from a tree. So the question, what does everyone else carry when you go out wheeling? I carry the shovel,jack,axe,chains and tools. Also a few replacement belts and such, how about you?

jamesfrom180

keep from hanging up and puncturing the tank i.e. smallish stick.

I carry:
5 gal gass
fluids
smallish tool box fits in a 40mm can about the size of a fat 50 with wrenches screw drives and assorted tools
at least one chain
maybe a hand winch or highlift
block of wood
water
something that will put a hole in something else.

Cucvnut

Well ill play.

Front and rear spare drive shafts.
extra hub's.
Full size 37 inch spare.
Box full of spare motor oil,gear oil,ps fluid,RTV and other oil's
Mre's and water for the truck and drnking.
Tow strap.
Full set of tool's.
Wire connector's and crimper.
Dead blow hammer.
Fire arm.
Tire patch kit.
First aid kit
And other assorted thing's.
oh and a small shouvle

Winch to be installed at a later date

Last edited:

Oldsouthernboy

Lets see I carry a high lift jack, regular jack, lug wrench, spare tire, fire extingusher, chain, several tie down straps, winch (hydro) tree saver strap, extra clevises, rad hoses, air filter, yank strap, water can, (5gal) mermite can with ice and assorted beverages, slave cables, assorted tools, shovel axe, pick, small bow saw, protection, snatch block, cb radio, hand crank flashlight and I will be adding a small danforth anchor soon. I even remember to add some common sense sometimes.

jollyroger

Well what's the point of it then?
GM put the plastic tray under the tank mostly to keep gravel from wearing the galvanized coating off the tank so it would not rust out as fast from the outside and to keep the tank from getting punctured by things like blades of grass, sporks from Taco Bell and lawn knomes (Don't ask)........Problem is the tray usually got gravel trapped up against the tank and eventually you would wear pin holes in the tank.

If you can find a real skid plate for the tank that would be mucho better. Or you can build one. But I would recomend taking the plastic tray out and having a real skid plate.