• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goint to Gulfport to pick up a M931 and back to TN

davidkroberts

Well im heading down tomorrow to grab my new M931 that I had towed off-base in Gulfport, Ms. The tow company did a quick run around and said the truck was perfect and was ready to run now so im bringing my M1009 down with a towbar. If i get down and find a problem Ill turn around and come home and bring the M818 instead. Even with the trip going both ways its still cheaper than having one hauled.

My route will be
Dyersburg Tn in West Tennessee to Jackson TN down the 45 Hwy, All the way to Meridian MS where I will cross over to Hattiesburg MS and drop down to Gulfport. Ill come back the same way.

Are there any members along the route in case I have problems?

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i hope all goes well. im off around 330 in the afternoon.. and its only 1 1/2 hours to gulfport so if you need some help or something shout my way..good luck ol buddy:beer:

groundog

:pgood luck on trip home---mine had3/4 full in one tank plus 1/2 in second tank---had 8 cargo straps plus 8 chain binders,triangle warning signs and a jack in the tool boxes---best find yet ---end off battery cable---crimped on new end-- jump started truck---batteries seem to be holding a charge---first truck i didnt have to re-place batteries--new spare----we both got a 931 out of gulport---total of 9 m-931s---navy seabe trucks

top_prop

Shade tree and I are in mobile... not exactly along your route... and we are -only- CUCV guys (we don't have any big truck experience)...

Hooty481

I hope you have good luck with your recovery! I wish we could have worked together on both since we were so close but maybe next time. be sure to stop and check tires for cracking. Nearly all of my tires are starting to crack pretty bad. I was lucky that only one of them came apart. It still got me home but only by the grace of God!!!

davidkroberts

thanks all, Im thinking about coming back through Mobile but I havent decided yet. My old Marine Corps Reserve Unit was out of Mobile so I know the Hwy 45 out of Citronella like the back of my hand.... nice quiet road all the way home.

groundog

:beer:are you home with ehw new truck?put new glad hands on the air hoses---no mud flap brackets---going to truck store tomorrow to find some---strange--some tractors have the mountrs and some dont

davidkroberts

yeap just made it back last night at about 2pm. The truck is great. Both tanks were topped off and the only thing i can find it needs is a new muffler. The trip back was long but nothing happened. Im going to do a write up later when i re-enter the human race after a few more hours of sleep. The heat about killed me I drank almost 2 gallons of water/tea on the trip.

davidkroberts

a few pics from the trip.

I was at 51 gallons used on a 490 mile trip. So I figure about 9+ gallons towing my m1009 at between 55-70 miles per hour. These are very nice running vehicles and If you know anyone who is a Seabee please give them my thanks for a ridiculously well maintained vehicle. This truck was somebody's baby. This is a stock 931A1

Attachments

3dAngus

Just read the thread. Congrats on your recovery. And I hope you recover from the heat as well. Where was the vehicle bought at? Was it purchased at Gulfport? What is the name of the base there if so. I could stand to go down there and do some gambling.

Hooty481

Glad you made it back safe! That's a great looking truck! I might have to get one of those. The sound of 70 mph sounds good compare to the ole 55 of the 818. Do those have an air ride cab?

davidkroberts

nah no air ride... honestly as far as ride and comfort there isnt much difference between the 818 and the 931. The automatic transmission is really nice though. Just a spring ride seat like the 818. The passenger bench has the batteries under it instead of the battery box on the side like the 818.

I got the truck from Gulfport Miss, Naval Construction Battalion. I cant stress how well maintained this vehicle is. They really take care of there stuff. I got my vehicle towed off base by Dean's Towing and Recovery in Gulfport. He took care of the storage until I could get down. Cost 178.00 for the tow and 15.00 a day for storage. He's a nice guy and has a few deuces himself in the back. I will use him again to keep from having to mess with getting stuff off the base and being able to work on it.

tbearatkin

a few pics from the trip.

I was at 51 gallons used on a 490 mile trip. So I figure about 9+ gallons towing my m1009 at between 55-70 miles per hour. These are very nice running vehicles and If you know anyone who is a Seabee please give them my thanks for a ridiculously well maintained vehicle. This truck was somebody's baby. This is a stock 931A1

Got a just retired Construction Mechanic Master Chief here in Millington. Will be happy to thank him for you. Do you need to borrow a Brass Seabee stencil for the doors? Glad it was a good trip. While they may maintain them well they are not beyond going to the boneyard for spare parts.

BUC Bones retired.