• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got pulled over today. Smoke Issue

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iam not familiar with Ohio , would make sure its operating properly, My 109 doesn't smoke at all even under load. But at the risk of POLITICAL INCORECTNESS, Is the smoke measurable . is it Illegal in Ohio in the time it will take you to discover the culprit. If its illegal , certainly don't drive it . All for environment , BUT one M 35 is not the end of the world. Far more pollutants are added to the atmosphere invisible and silent by SMOGGED cars and big business under the "Pollution Credits" system. Consider electric cars, Most US power is COAL fueled , Electric cars may not expel smoke , BUT they increase pollution exponentially as they are charged by pollution producing power plants, And most tree huggers don't have a clue . Iam not a "rolling Coal" type , but do believe that no matter how much some one is offended, if I am legal , I don't want to hear it. figure out why its so black, but if its legal and you really need to drive it, Drive on Color of the smoke in no way determines particulate level or pollution rate , Its just black and noticeable, Consider a smog pump, still a mainstay of most car emmissions systems. It does nothing to decrease pollution , it simply pumps large volumes of FRESH air into the exhaust stream "DILUTEING " the exhaust gases to acceptable levels for emmissions, A well built 1968 chevy 350 with just an exhaust pipe can run cleaner and more efficient than a smogged 2000 model , Just sayin.
In april 2016 33% of electric was produced by coal in the U.S. , here in michigan 7 coal fired plants closed in 2016.

Eafarms

deep black sooty smoke.. on advice of one of the posts.. I pulled air filter and ran down the road a bit and it seemed to smoke about the same, but the smoke was a lighter grey instead of black black black.

I also drove the truck as suggested w my foot to the floor, once it hit about 2500-2600 rpm (governed rpm?) there was a noticeable change in engine sound, and the smoke cleared right up. but would come on again if I let out of the throttle and then got back in it until it hit the governor.

im quite Leary of turning the fuel down, as I'm not the most adept with diesels yet. and don't want to mess anything up to a point that an expert would be required. I played w the fuel screw on my little Kubota and got a nice seat of the pants increase in power. but that was literally turning a screw. from my research the pump on these trucks has a fuel screw a droop screw... other stuff.. and its all wedged together nice and tight under a little access panel. I read the whole thread in the m35 section about turning fuel up, and still don't feel comfortable enough to go pulling mine apart and risk messing it up. I would love to see a video or good set of pictures detailing the process, however haven't found that yet. I may end up making one if I go ahead w the project.

big block 88

She is just fueling too hard man. No need to be affraid of that injection pump there is a good thread here will excellent pics that will have you done in less than an hour.

Perhaps one of the search pros here can get a link for you.

if you are hearing an excessive amount of clatter or fuel knock it could be a hung injector or perhaps the pump has been advanced? Did you buy the truck from someone on here? If so ask them if they did play with he timing.

Eafarms

Unfortunately I have no history on the truck. Got it from a kid who used it for demo hauling for A year maybe. He said it came from TN

Been playing with the truck today. Installed a boost gauge id forgotten about that was leftover from a tractor project.
Aha! I have no boost

. Could this contribute to the smoke. From my understanding the turbos were put on to clean up the exhaust. No matter what I did Gauge didn't move A millimeter. No pressure to be had. Is where I plumbed it somehow incorrect? It almost seems as if none of the air going through the turbo made it to the intake.
A neighbor of mine stopped by for a bit earlier. . He drives built diesel trucks. His hypothesis was that something was wrong on the exhaust or hot side of the turbo causing the lack of pressure. Also. We both have no clue what that the pump thing is that's connected into the turbo with those Two red vacuume lines. Or the hose that runs beneath it. It's coming off the turbo and going nowhere it has a weird little push pull pressure fitting on the end of it. Is this a wastegate on one of the these things?

Forgive all the questions. I just am stumped with this old beast.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure your turbo is spinning when running? I've seen the stick/stuck and smoke bad and make no power before.

Those red lines are part of the cold start fuel fired intake heater. They are not part of your issue.

That is a fine location to measure boost.

fwiw, under load 10 is about a safe point as far as making too much heat.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easy thing is to go to the Deuce forum and look in the sticky for G's post. Trouble shooting the LDS 465.
There you will find the easy way to put a load on the motor to check boost and everything else. No load very little boost so you can't just rev up the motor to check boost.

Last edited:

Eafarms

Turbo is definitely spinning. Just confirmed.
it about sucked my arm in when i went to feel the suction.

Robb. I would love some help. Pm me.

big block 88

Well i would test your gauge by blowing in it to make sure it registers anything at all. Then i would pull the boot from the turbo to intake and look for obstructions. I have had dobbers build on the compressor side of a truck that sat for years. Not saying that is your case but perhaps that turbo ate something once and it lodged it in the intake.

I dont believe those turbos push much boost period as they werent intended to add power really just clean up the smoke. I believe its 3-5 psi but ive been out of the multi fuel game for a while now so i may be wrong.

You can run the engine with the turbo unhooked it will just act like a typical NA engine. Just try and keep the air it is eating clean.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your motor will still "suck" even if the turbo is seized. Be very careful using body parts to check for vacuum!

Last edited:

Eafarms

I actually did test the gauge exactly that way before using it.. I make more psi than the truck!!

if this turbo is blocked or otherwise unworthy. I have the option of swapping in a whistler C turbo thats available locally on CL.. would that be an upgrade for the truck?

big block 88

Not really an upgrade imo. But they sound pretty cool, till u sit and listen to it scream on the highway for hours and hours.

But yeah a whistler will work fine. Id say you are currently running as a "dirty burn".

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Far more pollutants are added to the atmosphere invisible and silent by SMOGGED cars and big business under the "Pollution Credits" system. Consider electric cars, Most US power is COAL fueled , Electric cars may not expel smoke , BUT they increase pollution exponentially as they are charged by pollution producing power plants...
...Color of the smoke in no way determines particulate level or pollution rate , Its just black and noticeable, Consider a smog pump, still a mainstay of most car emmissions systems. It does nothing to decrease pollution , it simply pumps large volumes of FRESH air into the exhaust stream "DILUTEING " the exhaust gases to acceptable levels for emmissions, A well built 1968 chevy 350 with just an exhaust pipe can run cleaner and more efficient than a smogged 2000 model , Just sayin.
Are you sure about any of this??? Remember if it's on the internet it's gotta be true!

red

Are you sure about any of this??? Remember if it's on the internet it's gotta be true!
The smog pump/air pump is accurate, that's part of how auto manufacturers "improved emissions" from the 80's until around 2000 When they started figuring out programming. As for a older motor running cleaner than a newer engine, **** no. Emissions per gallon have improved alot with both gas/diesel, but the fuel efficiency suffered. Look at the 3/4 and 1 ton diesels for example. Mid 2000's and older could get nearly 20mpg from the factory, late 2000's were lucky to get 13mpg with the newer emissions equipment.

Since you have verified that the gauge is working remove the hose from the intake of the turbo and ensure that the hose/fitting is not plugged up. Also remove the air intake tubing from the turbo then start the truck and watch the turbo intake blades.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the boost at 45 mph? No boost and indeed you'll need the check the exhaust turbine. You guys need to understand, the LDS all smoke, just some way more than others. I think Gimp is right about the one and two hole injectors having a lot to do with it. This engine design is from the 50's, and smoke was nothing unusual (or illegal) then.