• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone gutted a N3135 regulator?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My next project. I want to see how to gut and replace innards with working parts. Before I start, I want to see if anyone else has done it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not, I have however gutted and repaired several different potted modules in the past. I used Acetone, unfortunately it will also remove some of the component markings, electrolytic capacitors that have a plastic sleeve over them for one thing. Sometimes you can"read" the component as it starts to come out of the potting material, keep good notes.
Usually I would use basic knowledge of the circuit voltages and the physical size of the capacitor to "take a guess" has worked so far.
Keep us posted!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did just look at one of my regulators, it has a rather "soft" potting material, it could be silicone based, I have no idea how you would go about de-potting something like that.
I too am waiting for an update!

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just received a bad 200Amp regulator from Beltfed34 Austin.

Gonna start dissecting it. Trip to Commiefornia to finish work on the M1165 will interrupt.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just started gutting my N3135. Neihoff are such a PITA. They potted the unit in silicone containing 1-2 mm gravel chips. Not gonna stop me.

It’s a cross between the 40 year old toy “chip away” and an archeological dig liberating small dinosaur bones from surrounding rock.

Rear is clean. Just ordered mechanic’s picks to continue the process.

I’m gonna make this happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All about anti-tampering. What bull crap!

Really offensive to me.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I did just look at one of my regulators, it has a rather "soft" potting material, it could be silicone based, I have no idea how you would go about de-potting something like that.

Try asking @peapvp as this is something he might be able to shed some light on.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outer is soft… then inner has small pebbles.

Outer is a skim coat to make unit look finished.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All about anti-tampering. What bull crap!

Really offensive to me.
You are 100% wrong, it all about making it weather and vibration proof, anyone that is serious about "tampering" with it would have no problem getting into it.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are 100% wrong, it all about making it weather and vibration proof, anyone that is serious about "tampering" with it would have no problem getting into it.
Mog.., I respectfully disagree. Silicone is anti vibration. Silicone with rocks and powder is another story.

GM, Ford, and Chrysler regulator products don’t have an ounce of silicone and yet they work well, even on bumps. Same with Bosch.

No silicone in G500 Mercedes and no silicone in GM Hummer H1. Our starters and pcb/EESS are sealed and not potted. This could have easily been manufactured in a watertight box with rubber mounting bushings.

peapvp, thanks for the pictures! I’m not finding epoxy in this unit. This is malleable and soft like silicone.

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mog.., I respectfully disagree. Silicone is anti vibration. Silicone with rocks and powder is another story.

GM, Ford, and Chrysler regulator products don’t have an ounce of silicone and yet they work well, even on bumps. Same with Bosch.

No silicone in G500 Mercedes and no silicone in GM Hummer H1. Our starters and pcb/EESS are sealed and not potted. This could have easily been manufactured in a watertight box with rubber mounting bushings.

peapvp, thanks for the pictures! I’m not finding epoxy in this unit. This is malleable and soft like silicone.
@TOBASH
Thanks for the info. The stuff in this particular unit is rock hard. I am certain that is an Epoxy Resin.
We use silicone conformal coating on our circuit boards we manufacture. This here in my example is definitely not silicone based.
Peter

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So peapvp/Peter, I guess I got lucky with a unit that might be more easily dissected. Seems like there might be differing batches with differing construction.

Glad mine isn’t epoxy.

Thanks for your pictures and your information.

Charles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks