• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identifing a transmission

redneckitguy

I have a 1097R1 with what I was told was a 6.5 with a 4 speed in it.

Based on the article for identifying the engine by halfmastpsmag I believe it is a 6.5. However the oil pan looks to be the 3L80 variant.

Can anyone shed some light on this or tell me what to look for?

20220921_093320.jpg20220921_095048.jpg

redneckitguy

that clears up the R1 thing. I was trying to figure out the difference in A1 and R1.

So they swap motors but not transmissions. Thats an odd upgrade.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will probably find a NP242 T case, it looks like when they upgraded these it included a 6.5L and the later T case

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that clears up the R1 thing. I was trying to figure out the difference in A1 and R1.

So they swap motors but not transmissions. Thats an odd upgrade.
The Govt never converted a truck from a 3 speed to 4 speed during a reset, the 6.5 is the standard replacement because the Mfg stopped producing the 6.2, the 6.5 you have is as it’s referred too in all TM“s as “Detuned”.
ANY truck getting a new or rebuilt motor for that platform would get a 6.5....if it got a new transmission, it be a 3 speed TH400.

redneckitguy

You will probably find a NP242 T case, it looks like when they upgraded these it included a 6.5L and the later T case
I will look at that. The 3 speed is kind of a bummer but not the end of the world. I just need to figure out why it kills the engine when its put in gear.

redneckitguy

The Govt never converted a truck from a 3 speed to 4 speed during a reset, the 6.5 is the standard replacement because the Mfg stopped producing the 6.2, the 6.5 you have is as it’s referred too in all TM“s as “Detuned”.
ANY truck getting a new or rebuilt motor for that platform would get a 6.5....if it got a new transmission, it be a 3 speed TH400.
I have confirmed it is the detuned 6.5. im not running on a highway or anything so im not worried about that. Another truck with the turbo and 4 speed may be in my future but this is just a project for me to learn on.

I have driven them, mostly rode in the back of them, but never worked on one. This was a project opportunity. I plan to start taking it apart and putting it back together to learn.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have confirmed it is the detuned 6.5. im not running on a highway or anything so im not worried about that. Another truck with the turbo and 4 speed may be in my future but this is just a project for me to learn on.

I have driven them, mostly rode in the back of them, but never worked on one. This was a project opportunity. I plan to start taking it apart and putting it back together to learn.
if putting it in gear kills the motor? The trans is bad…the torque converter is locked up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks