• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horrible general question.. Truck cutting off.

Thumper580

I know it could be several things however..... 2000 M1123. 18,560 miles. I just got it. New fuel filter, engine oil and filter. Glow lights come on normally, go out and then truck starts immediately. Sounds normal.....
On the way to my local transmission shop to get a fresh fluid and filter service the truck just cut off... No signs beforehand. Ran normally.... Just cut off. I opened the hood and stared at it for a couple of minutes😁. Then hit the start lever and it fired right up and drove to the shop...... Sort of curious about driving but back home tomorrow... Put a crack in my confidence...

Any 1 through 5 suggestions to look at. Thanks guys. This my second hmmwv, so not a total novice.

Reactions: 98G

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change the fuel filter and make sure the vent system is not plugged, if it happens again remove the fuel cap and see if it seems to have a vacuum on it.
Of course it could be many things, that is just what comes to mind first.

papakb

You didn't state whether you had a keyed ignition switch or the standard one but if it's a keyed switch there's a fair chance it's a chinese cheapie and they are prone to fail at any time. Go with a good American made switch like a Grote or Cole-Hersey for piece of mind.

Something else to consider is how full is your tank? These trucks will run OK with just the IP drawing fuel from a full tank until they hit the halfway point and then it may or may not keep running. This can be an indication that the mechanical fuel pump on the lower right side of the block isn't pumping to spec.

Also try putting a multimeter on the #54 lead on the IP and see if you aren't losing power to the fuel cut off solenoid. It needs 24v to keep the solenoid energized and the fuel flowing.

Thumper580

You didn't state whether you had a keyed ignition switch or the standard one but if it's a keyed switch there's a fair chance it's a chinese cheapie and they are prone to fail at any time. Go with a good American made switch like a Grote or Cole-Hersey for piece of mind.

Something else to consider is how full is your tank? These trucks will run OK with just the IP drawing fuel from a full tank until they hit the halfway point and then it may or may not keep running. This can be an indication that the mechanical fuel pump on the lower right side of the block isn't pumping to spec.

Also try putting a multimeter on the #54 lead on the IP and see if you aren't losing power to the fuel cut off solenoid. It needs 24v to keep the solenoid energized and the fuel flowing.
Original military ignition switch..... For the #54 lead check is the truck running or just the ignition on. Thanks

JanR

I had something similar happening. With the truck idling, it just shut off, followed by the clunk sound from the EESS box relay. My problem was a loose connector in the start switch. Check the connectors behind the start switch (11A and 29A) for play or corrosion.

spankybear

Water in the fuel? Had a CUCV that would just die... found out it was water in the fuel. PIA to clear up...