• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

humvee vs Hummer wheels

tatra813

I have a hummer (civilian) 1995 with one piece wheels. I want to put on the 2 piece humvee wheels so I can have a double bead lock rim. I was told the humvee rime has a 7 inch backspace. I measured mine at a 6 7/8 backspace if I measured correctly. It looks to me that it will fit fine, does this sound right??

I may get the humvee wheel with it redone to a 6.5 backspace to help with rubbing with a slightly wider tire than stock?

any input please
trail worthy fab has the rims and does mods to them also ads rock guards etc to help the rim from denting when aired down.

Elwenil

I just bought a set of 37" HMMWV tires from Andy at TrailWorthyFab.com and I have to say the service was excellent. If I can whip up the cash for a set of the HMMWV double beadlocks I will definitely get them from those guys.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The civi Hummers also came with the 12 bolt beedlocks. The wheels will work fine with your truck wih no mods. In fact most civi Hummers came OEM with the 12 bolt 2 piece wheels.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12 bolt wheels are the same for the HMMWV and the Hummer. The one piece wheels you have are most likely not original equipment. It would be best to remove the runflats from the wheels. They will be much easier to balance and ride better.

tatra813

I plan on removing run flats and putting in the pvc double bead lock. I will also have the rock guard welded on.

I was going to put on some 36 inch super swamper tires. a real aggresive tread for offroad but I cant find them anywhere looks like th factory hasnt made them this year at all?? Anyone know of a different aggressive tread tire that is equivilent for a 16.5 inch rim??

Elwenil

There are a ton of Super Swamper and other Interco tires available. I don't know why you would have a problem finding some.

Home | Interco Tire

Similarly there are PitBull Tires, Mickey Thompson makes some nice tires like the MTZ and Claw. You may be limited in sizes due to the 16.5" rim as most manufacturers are phasing them out though Interco still makes a lot of them.

tatra813

super swampers are sold out everywhere and the factory has NONE in stock. The factory that made the tires for them went out of business and now they are scrambling to find somone new. They havnt made tires all year....all of the interco models. I finally found a new set on ebay last night but I called probably 15 different swamper reps (chain stores) who were all sold out of everything shor of some small diameter tires.

tatra813

Anyone have any imput on balancing ?? I was going to NOT balance the tire and just put 16oz of beads in the tire.........any opinions on this??

Elwenil

I'm running 10 oz of Airsoft BBs in my 37s and they work great. You can tell they are out of balance when you first pull off a stop but once you get to around 15 MPH the BBs disperse and go where they need to. Mine are balanced up to 65 MPH and ride very good for such a large tire. They do get a little out of balance when you hit a big bump like a pothole but quickly balance out and settle down.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on removing run flats and putting in the pvc double bead lock. I will also have the rock guard welded on.

I was going to put on some 36 inch super swamper tires. a real aggresive tread for offroad but I cant find them anywhere looks like th factory hasnt made them this year at all?? Anyone know of a different aggressive tread tire that is equivilent for a 16.5 inch rim??

Several Months ago I sold a buddy a set of 4 MT's on 12bolt A2 Mil Rims, He wanted the Run flats out because no one other then me could service them.
Because of his constant off road use of his 94 Hummer he finally relented and I was able to convince him to keep the Run flats in.
Well, 3 weeks later he was back at my door with a 12 pack to thank me for being relentless in my opposition to removing them.
He had a side wall punture while up near the Rubicon, The spot where it failed
was on a very precarious spot and he said they had to drive at least several miles on the run flat till they got to a spot where they could change to the spare.
Then, On his way home he had another Blow out on the spare and ran that for approx 15miles till he got home.....That run flat had almost no signs of wear when I changed out to his new tire...There was no Lube either.

suffice to say that I would leave your Run flats in.....

Expendable

Several Months ago I sold a buddy a set of 4 MT's on 12bolt A2 Mil Rims, He wanted the Run flats out because no one other then me could service them.
Because of his constant off road use of his 94 Hummer he finally relented and I was able to convince him to keep the Run flats in.
Well, 3 weeks later he was back at my door with a 12 pack to thank me for being relentless in my opposition to removing them.
was on a very precarious spot and he said they had to drive at least several miles on the run flat till they got to a spot where they could change to the spare.
Then, On his way home he had another Blow out on the spare and ran that for approx 15miles till he got home.....That run flat had almost no signs of wear when I changed out to his new tire...There was no Lube either.

yes yes! leave them in!

The Hummer Network Forums :: Log in

please visit this forum too! everyone loves to help. and they are THE Hummer forum to go to.

also you can run a 15.5" wide tire on a stock rim without changing the backspacing. as for rubbing i have no experience.

as for the single piece steel wheels AM General produced these for a few years but then went back to the two piece steel.

also your Hummer was designed for use with 37" so if you go down to 36" you're going to have to recalibrate your speedometer.

tatra813

Good to hear it worked out!. Everything I have read has been against keeping the runflats in the wheels........not my opinion just what I have been reading....still open to them though.

Anyone have a lead to 12 bolt rims for less than $75 each? Thats the cheapest Ive found so far.

Thanks

ODw/envy

I am trying to run 12 bolt rims with magnesium run flats and the Wrangler MT OZ 37 12.50 R16.5 tire. I am having trouble seating the bead lock enough to get the center seal to work. Anyone with direct experience with this combination have advice on this?

ODw/envy

The mag RFs are roughly 7 in wide while the two different rubber ones are roughly 6.5 in. Also, the rubber will compress some. I think the difference is in the bead of the tire. The OZ seems denser and somewhat thicker/heavier; even though the exterior measurement is the same. I am told that the OZ and mag combo will work with enough torque but I am not comfortable with exceeding the torque specs or distorting the wheel. It is also pointless to have duel bead locks if you can’t change them on the trail.

On a side note: Not all 12 bolt wheels are the same. There is a pilot hole version and non. They have difference seals. If you get custom wheels you may have to buy multiple types of seals. They are a little hard to find.