• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I broke my 5 ton this weekend. Help!

msisco

This weekend I got stranded in the desert for two days. I was wheeling my 5-Ton and both of the rear axels on the drivers side got tore loose. I am not sure what the parts are called but here are a few pics. If anyone can help identify and help me locate these parts I would be very gratefull!

Attachments

OSO

Those are called torque rods. Check Eric's military surplus Boyce Equipment sales or put a call for torque rods . Quite a few members sell those .2cents2cents

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a few threads that show you how to do a temporary fix to recover the vehicle by welding a bar across the end to keep it from coming out of the rubber bushing. Another member also tapped threads in the center and screwed in a piece of plate on a good joint as a safety to prevent it from pulling out of the rubber upon failure.

Try http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/76297-warning-dogbone-torque-rod-failure.html

I have also seen a replacement that used a heim joint as a replacement, but I believe they were insanely expensive.

Last edited:

spicergear

For future reference if you can push the axles back into position, you can cut the rubber down a little on the part that remained on the truck, put the rod end back over it and ratchet strap it on and limp home.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This weekend I got stranded in the desert for two days. I was wheeling my 5-Ton and both of the rear axels on the drivers side got tore loose. I am not sure what the parts are called but here are a few pics. If anyone can help identify and help me locate these parts I would be very gratefull!
From reading this, I would say that YOU really NEED to read the TMs, if you had and did the PM, you would have known that your torque rod rubber bushings were VARY BAD which can be seen in the pics.

You can find the TMs here
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
Former Military Vehicle Owners - Index
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
When you get yours replaced, you should think about keeping to spare dog bones in your truck. In case this happens again. At least that what I do, and they can be changed out in 30 mins or less if you are convoying with the right group of friends (ask me how I know).

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow another one! I had the same thing happen with my deuce, the middle axle lost a dogbone crushed the brake line. Only figured it out backing into my pole barn feeling the brakes and the rear end going funky.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I have found a rule of thumb is to check with a ply bar (like its state in the TM) once every 3 or 4 months when I'll do my complete look over. I'm planning on driving mine to work once a week.

racolton

From reading this, I would say that YOU really NEED to read the TMs, if you had and did the PM, you would have known that your torque rod rubber bushings were VARY BAD which can be seen in the pics.

You can find the TMs here
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
Former Military Vehicle Owners - Index
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,
How do you find all the publications relating to a certain vehicle on the MIL TM site? For example, I'd be looking for every scrap of information on the M-817 (Operations, maintenance, overhauling, etc.)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
tm-2320-260-10,12,20,20p ect

the 260 is for the 809
the 211 is for the older 5t
so tm-2320-find the designator number (211, 260, ect) for you truck, then get ALL the TMs for that number
tm-2323-xxx-10, 20, 20p ect.

Last edited:

KsM715

Is that really help, cutting and pasting 4500 times the same thing?

It helped racolton didn't it?

He is trying to get apoint across. The manuals are free and if you can access this site then you can access the manuals. There is no reason anyone that owns these trucks should not have the manuals.

IIRC, if you had read the manuals, it would have saved you alot of heartburn over the past few weeks.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It helped racolton didn't it?

He is trying to get apoint across. The manuals are free and if you can access this site then you can access the manuals. There is no reason anyone that owns these trucks should not have the manuals.

IIRC, if you had read the manuals, it would have saved you alot of heartburn over the past few weeks.
Sure helps the post count!

msisco

For future reference if you can push the axles back into position, you can cut the rubber down a little on the part that remained on the truck, put the rod end back over it and ratchet strap it on and limp home.
I used stainless aircraft cable and clamps in a figure 8 to keep them in place after I put them back where they came from. Same basic idea as you recommend. It's funny, as I was laying there on my back in the desert looking at the mess I had to fix I was thinking to myself, why the heck did they design these bushings without a fail safe plate or cable around them for when they do actually rip loose and darn near tear the rear end out of these trucks.. Some one needs to make a kit to retrofit a retension plate to keep these boys from escaping.. that's my 1 cent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks