• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing power steering belt...

svlsmokey

I know this seems simple but... I'm replacing belts on the 1028 (one of 'em shredded) and the power steering belt does not fit. The new belt is the Napa version of a 7448 but it seems to be inches too short. I have loosened the power steering pump per the Unit Maintenance Manual. Can anyone confirm 7448 is the correct belt? Unfortunately I don't have the old belt to compare it to. Am I missing something? Thanks.

998Junkie

I know this seems simple but... I'm replacing belts on the 1028 (one of 'em shredded) and the power steering belt does not fit. The new belt is the Napa version of a 7448 but it seems to be inches too short. I have loosened the power steering pump per the Unit Maintenance Manual. Can anyone confirm 7448 is the correct belt? Unfortunately I don't have the old belt to compare it to. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Try this and it might work for you. Go under the truck and put the belt between the pulley and the harmonic balancer, then get back top side and you should have enough room to put the belt over the pulleys, then go back under and put the belt on the pulley.

M1009 Fiend

Or you can unbolt the pump, It adds 5min of work an makes it 50x easier to change.

But i have a m1009 so im not sure if yours is set up differently but that what i do an i makes it so much easier. 2cents

McCluskey

^^
I've mix matched my Alt Belts before. When I had my mechanic do some work I had him replace all my belts while he was in there. One of my Alt belts was incorrect size (Gat Dang Autozone) and I had a spare belt for the opposite Alt. They're both ran perfectly. I have since replaced them with nicer belts, the original 2 are kept as spares.

DokWatson

You have to push the belt all the way behind the crank pulley and PS pulley and work it on from behind them, it's **** near impossible to force it on from the front of the pulley. Belts stretch, thats why its so hard to get on the first time.

idM1028

From my experience, the PS belt is always a PITA. Completely unbolting the pump does help though. Last time I had to do it, I unbolted the pump, put the belt on the pulley for the pump and kept the other end kinda jammed in between the other pulleys and the engine block. Then I put the other end of the belt on their respective pulleys. Also, when you adjust the belts, loosen both the PS pump and the driver side alt. Tighten the PS pump up first, then do the alt.

jj

That 7448 NAPA number sounds correct, but i cannot at this moment confirm that it is what i used. Everytime i've replaced this belt, i've had to completely unbolt the power steering pump, fish the belt onto the pulleys, then re-attach the pump. Not too bad this way, ive done it in single digit temps.

svlsmokey

And the winner is!

Try this and it might work for you. Go under the truck and put the belt between the pulley and the harmonic balancer, then get back top side and you should have enough room to put the belt over the pulleys, then go back under and put the belt on the pulley.
It's amazing how easy things are when you know how to do them. Took 10 minutes to get all 3 new belts on. Back on the road again! Thanks.