• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installing slant back hatch seal

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 types of hatch seals....one for steel hatch, and one for aluminum hatch.
And how does one know the difference between the two? I see no info on installation, or anything anywhere that is of any help. We tried a couple times to get the gasket on without any success.

I’m working on an 1151 slantback hatch. I have the correct seal. This hatch has the extra piece (armor?) on the top third of the hatch. Does that extra piece need to come off to install the new seal? If so how does one remove that top armor piece? All the fasteners are phillips head and several go into rivnuts (can’t unscrew from the back). I’m afraid I’ll have to drill these out since the phillips won’t budge before stripping. Any advise or insight is greatly appreciated!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m working on an 1151 slantback hatch. I have the correct seal. This hatch has the extra piece (armor?) on the top third of the hatch. Does that extra piece need to come off to install the new seal? If so how does one remove that top armor piece? All the fasteners are phillips head and several go into rivnuts (can’t unscrew from the back). I’m afraid I’ll have to drill these out since the phillips won’t budge before stripping. Any advise or insight is greatly appreciated!
Do you have an impact driver like this?
Impact.jpg
This and the correct bit gives you the best chance of removing screws, that and some penetrating oil.
Fortunately if they are in nutserts drilling them out and replacing them is relatively easy.
Cannot speak on the actual job you are doing..

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how much 'abuse' the underlying material can handle, but an impact screwdriver goes a long ways on stuck screw heads.

If you do have an impact screw driver, making sure to 'preload' the screw driver in the correct way that it needs to go, applying some downward counter clockwise pressure before you rap on it lessens the amount of force required.*

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure your using the right gasket...there's two types that go around the rear hatches. One is for the thick aluminum and the other is a thinner steel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks