• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insulating M1009 for sound and temp

Kingpin

I've read most of the threads on insulating the floors and roof. Lots of contrasting opinions across the internet.

I'd like to hear from some people who've insulated the doors of their m1009. I need to deaden the noise and stop the draft coming through the handle and up the window. I'm fairly well-read on dynamat, fatmat, raamat etc...

I'd like to hear from people who've been able to warm the cab and quiet it at a reasonable cost. Right now we're working in this order:

1. insulating the hood (cheapest) with dynamat in single layer spots and and then a hood pad with foil from Pepboys

2. Great stuff low expansion spray foam in the roof and supports

3. Doors with sound mat and some kind of insulating pad

4. Wheel wells and drive shaft area with some sort of spray deadener (suggestions??)

5. Lastly the floor and firewall. This is last because the previous owner had layered in carpet and a thick pad so it has been deadened some. I will be pulling it up and adding sound mat, then a pad (perhaps jute) , and then an industrial carpet.

I welcome any suggestions you guys might have. This website has been a tremendous help to me and my son!!

JPDC

Don't want to highjack this thread...

Just a follow-on question. I have been thinking of doing rhino-liner on the floor area of the whole truck. The rubberized feel will be great and easy cleaning too. Has anyone done this inside their cab? Could it really deaden sound and possibly insulate a little too?

4bogginchevys

careful which spray in bed liner you choose, many of them get very slippery when wet. I know you cant really stand up i:-Dn one anyhow but cargo will slide easily too

REGULATOR

Since I don't ever plan on sellign mine,
My plan is to remove the entire interior and spray in some rhino liner, local shop says they have done several jeeps this way.

cost wasn't much more then a regular truck bed, should last forever.

zoo

My local line X shop says 800 bucks for M1009 ,firewall to tail gate.
4 to 5 hours masking off interior and about 30 min spray time.
more than I want to spend.
I've got an old pickup bed matt i'm gonna cut down .I'll repaint the floor first tho to keep the rust down.
Im not sure what I'm gonna do up front.
The do it yourself bed liner kit is about 68 bucks at the auto zone,I hear it does pretty well if you take your time on the prep .
I am very unsure of putting any kind of pading under the rubber floor matt thats gonna hold moisture.mine aint 100% weather tight.

Crash_AF

The biggest culprit for sound in the 1009 is the lack of insulation on anything, so the sheetmetal just reverberates like a tin can. Anything you add will cause a difference, the question is, how quiet do you want it?

Rhino lining or other bedliner will stop a good portion of the road noise from the floor and wheelwell areas.

Firewall mat and hood insulation will stop some of the engine noise. If you can find a diesel truck in the junkyard to pull the firewall insulation off of, that makes a world of difference in how quiet the truck is.

Adding the plastic sheeting that goes between the door panel and door will stop some of the drafts coming through there. Coupled with new rubber from LMC or JCW and a door alignment to better seal the doors will stop most of the draftiness from that area.

How well these things work is all in how much time and effort you want to put into the fixes.

Later,
Joe

bigflew

The big problem with mats is the moisture between them and the metal floor will cause rust and the water always seems to get in. Probably why most of the military have been removed.
I used 2 coats of roll in rhino liner (about $200) seems to help with noise and not slipery,looks good. but time will tell on durability.

Attachments

bbbang

I insulated my cab (floor, sidewalls and firewall)after I primed and painted it, also installed a carpet kit. I used sound deadening material and 3m adhesive (great stuff). It made a huge difference. You can carry on a conversation at a normal level, and elimiated the majority of the road noice, vehicle heats up a lot faster. I did all this and then converted from diesel to gas to make a hot rod, but still great with the big block and loud exhaust.