• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looks like another 802A restoration thread

Durango_USMC

Well I got a genset out of Crane not too long ago, needs work. So in my quest for parts I stumbled across and landed another 802A from the same auction. I'm going to attempt to upload pics as its been a little tricky for me to upload. Initially I will be just attempting to get one up and running but I would like to hopefully get both up and going. I'd like to say now, my searching isnt always the best and I've had absolutely no prior experience with any kind of generator. However, I am fairly handy with a TM and mediocre with a wrench. My first task will be mounting one up to a little trailer so I can move it around easier. My second will be figuring out how to properly ground these before I loosen a nut or get a battery anywhere near it. As I'm always a little leery of electricity please forgive me if I come back to this thread for verification what I am doing is the right way before I go switching anything on.

Right now I know I will need a starter, alternator, fuel pump, gages, and some switches once i get cracking on the second one. Anyone with experience rebuilding one of the Crane 802a's that came out in the July Auction please feel free to chime in with your experience.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that most of the Crane units that didn't have all the "black boxes" removed were in pretty good shape -- albeit that someone went through them with a wire cutters when removing parts. I'm part way through my second unit, but the first unit started right up once I got all the parts installed. I ran it for a little less than 3 hours the first time I fired it up. The second one had a little problem with the lift pumps, but that's OK now -- still have to get the injectors tested.

All of the parts can be found on ebay, but not all at one time. Green Mountain Generators has most of them in stock if you call them.

I put together a spreadsheet that listed each circuit that had a cut or disconnected wire. I recorded the wire number and the terminal on which it fastened on any particular part using the schematic diagrams. I only had to lengthen two of the 20 or so wires that were cut; the others I could crimp a connector on and they would still reach their destination -- I had to remove a few cable ties to get the extra length. I also soldered each connector that I put on just 'cause I don't want anything coming loose.

I'm going to try my hand at "reverse engineering" the crank disconnect switch / relay. There is only a handful of parts on a small circuit board about the size of a matchbook inside an old Potter & Brumfield relay housing.

I'll send you a PM

good luck

z

Durango_USMC

I really need to get some pics posted but my computer sucks and it seems to be incredibly difficult to do it off the phone (I dont use tapatalk). The first one I got actually had a complete set of gages, only two maybe three are going to be salvaged. The second one also came from crane so its missing a handful of parts as well.

I'd love to mount one on a M116 trailer but I think its more likely I will end up with a cheap trailer from tractor supply so I can drag it around the property as needed..

Pulled the back plate off the tan one tonight, fuel pump is confirmed gone. The tank looks rough and is in desperate need of a good cleaning. A lot of mud and dirt. Makes me think it was either left in a dusty field for a looooooooong time or it ended up somewhat submerged for a little while which would be really bad for me. Sending unit still in tact though. At least I think its the sending unit. Obligatory GL forklift damage as well on the sides with doors. Time to attempt to post pictures...

Attachments

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Going to try to post up some pics of the second one (green) that I havent picked up yet but will likely be picking it up in a few days.

Attachments

Durango_USMC

Got the green generator home and a ton of new parts for it and the tan one I will probably need. Mike, if you see this thread, huge thank you for everything! Especially letting me poke around a running 802a and figuring out a few parts I will need. Ill update this thread shortly with pictures once I make some room in the garage and pull it off the trailer after the storm passes. I think Im going to get the green one up amd running first then start on the tan one. Ive also been working on finding a list of all the parts Im missing and their part numbers I will be posting shortly when I get the desktop fired up.

Durango_USMC

http://www.stategen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stategen_lister-petter_lpw-lpwt-lpws_parts.pdf

That is the link for the Lister-Petter part numbers for these items. I've noticed other part numbers particularly onan and will post those as I come across them and update this post

Alternator:
382-08867 (LP)
8MR3005CA (OTHER referred to as "generator, direct current)
8EM3005CA (OTHER referred to as "generator, direct current)

Fuel pump:
750-14280 (LP)
E1074 (Airtex)

Lift Pump:
757-14171 (LP)

Starter:
751-15580 (LP)
191-1550 (Onan)

The numbers for the gauges I am probably going to need some help clarifying as I see individual part numbers and "accessory kits" which I'm not sure of the contents.
Gauges (LP):
Accessory Kit (LP): Oil pressure gauge 750-10351
Engine temperature gauge 750-10361
Voltmeter 750-10371
Tachometer 750-10391
Oil pressure sender 750-10401
Engine temperature sender 750-40101
Gauges (LP):
Individual listing (LP):
Oil Pressure Gauge 757-10191
Oil Pressure Sender 757-10211
Engine Temperature Gauge 757-10201
Voltmeter 757-10421
Hour Recorder 757-1450 (Note, unknown if 12 or 24v, accessory kit stated 12v which is why I didnt include the
accessory kit number)
Tachometer 757-12871

If I posted anything wrong or that needs a different number listed please let me know I can edit the post.

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Not much of an update here, I git a few new gauges movkex up but not fully installed. Dug out a ton of part number that ill ad to the list above in a day or three. Going to pull the tank on the green one on monday and startwashing it out. Going to look at pulling my welder out and fabbing up a couple brackets and reinforce my tiny trailer so I can just bolt on and not have to worry about ratchet straps quite so much.