• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loving My -803A

CT-Mike

So we are getting another snow storm today so I figured it was a good time to exercise the set. I permanently connected up the NOCO-7200 to keep the batteries topped up.

I then started up the Arctic block heater. 10 minutes later the coolant is at 180 F and the machine fires right up.

I currently have the oven on, all the downstairs lights, a pellet stove, upstairs heat pump, refrigerator, TV, entertainment center, well pump, etc running, and the machine is only at 12.5% output.

I need to find a way to put more load it on to keep it from wet-stacking.

Awesome machine that should last me forever.

JimH

I wish I had one. I understand they are great machines too. I have an MEP-003a that does the hob for me. I do wonder, if your load meter is working correctly. You should be pulling far more current than that with all of the things you mention you are running. Perhaps you can borrow a clamp on meter and check the current in each leg.

I am glad it is working out for you. Military surplus gen sets are great machines.

Jim

cuad4u

I also question the accuracy of your % load meter. 12.5% indicated load just does not seen right given all the stuff you have running.

CT-Mike

I have a clamp on ammeter and will check it the next time I run it. Prior to wiring to the house I had 10 KW worth of water heater elements powered from the machine, and the load meter read about 78%, which I felt was pretty close considering a pf of 0.8.

Korgoth1

I wouldn't worry about wet stacking to much, the 803 is a very good size for the average home. If the water heater cuts on with the well pump cutting on intermittently (like taking showers) it will be enough to keep it dried out.

The only time I would worry about it stacking is when everyone is asleep, and power use is at 2-3kwh. But even then, if you run the oven and showers when you get up, it would be fine.

Imho, best thing to do, is run it for a couple days, and watch your exhaust for build up before putting alot of money/effort into load banking..

CT-Mike

I wouldn't worry about wet stacking to much, the 803 is a very good size for the average home. If the water heater cuts on with the well pump cutting on intermittently (like taking showers) it will be enough to keep it dried out.

The only time I would worry about it stacking is when everyone is asleep, and power use is at 2-3kwh. But even then, if you run the oven and showers when you get up, it would be fine.

Imho, best thing to do, is run it for a couple days, and watch your exhaust for build up before putting alot of money/effort into load banking..
Water heater is an indirect off of a propane boiler that only uses a 15 amp breaker for control circuit power so there's no load there at all to speak of.

I built a red neck load bank out of a plastic 55g barrel and 10 KW worth of water heater elements so I can just throw that on it every couple of months I guess.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you could even get away with an 802A. I can in the winter but I need an 803 in the summer. Wet stacking is not as big an issue as I understand it with the Onan's. One thing I could think of is add a couple portable electric heaters and and fans while you are on generator power and save your firewood, pellets since you are burning the same amount of diesel anyway. I run up to 3 portable heaters and ceiling fans when on generator power since I too have extra capacity with the 803A. No need to pay for natural gas too! I think they are just right for an energy efficient home!

Chrispyny

Sounds like you could even get away with an 802A. I can in the winter but I need an 803 in the summer. I think they are just right for an energy efficient home!
I agree with your comment about prefering an 803 over an 802 in the summer. A/C's eat up electricity fast.
My case is a little different. I have a natural gas hot water boiler for domestic hot water, a natural gas boiler with hydronic hot water baseboard for primary heat, and a jotul wood stove who's fan draws 76 watts on high, and a natural gas cooking stove in the kitchen. My home is 1400 sq ft. In the winter, i bet i could easily get away with an mep-831a (3kw genset) but i have my 802 as primary standby.
In the summer, i only have window shaker a/c's for now, so if i'm running on in the bedroom and one in the livingroom, i bet i'd be giving the 802 a good workout. But ideally, i only need a/c in the bedroom to sleep. So i think for a small semi energy efficient home like mine. The 802 is perfect. Would i love an 803 so i can run all the a/c's at once like a boss in the summer? Sure! But then fuel efficiency goes down. So for me personally, i love my 802.
This spring i'm getting a new roof with added ridge vent. Then blowing in 18" of insulation in attic. Then this summer i plan on a mini split for the house. Once the mini split is installed which is insanely efficient, i'll be sitting pretty. I bet the 802 could run 3 of those mini splits and not know it!

Korgoth1

Water heater is an indirect off of a propane boiler that only uses a 15 amp breaker for control circuit power so there's no load there at all to speak of.

I built a red neck load bank out of a plastic 55g barrel and 10 KW worth of water heater elements so I can just throw that on it every couple of months I guess.
Oh ok, well if you already built the load bank may aswell use it!

My only problem with choosing the 802 over the 803 is that they are costing about the same, might aswell have the extra capacity.

Last edited:

jimbo913

I think the 803 consumes as much fuel at 1/2 load as the 802 at full load, so no difference if you are maxing out the 802 regularly.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guys, The set will not wet stack over night. It will run weeks without you even seeing it a LITTLE bit. If you have a home built load bank, use it every now and then, but it's not that big a deal. You could go to the junkyard and rape a few dryers, and provide yourself enough parts for a load bank. Any heating source will do. Just use a little horse sense. Remember, safety first. If you would not run your home built job with kids around, then it ain't safe enough. I once built a load bank out of a 55 gal drum, 40 gal water, two 50 pound bags of salt and several ground rods. Worked like a champ, but my section sergeant threatened to take all my rank and put me in jail for attempted mass murder. It was not safe to stand in a 30 meter circle of the thing. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. Dont over blow the wet staking problem. When it oozes black crud out the muffler and exhaust manifold, its a problem.

jamawieb

Guys, The set will not wet stack over night. It will run weeks without you even seeing it a LITTLE bit. If you have a home built load bank, use it every now and then, but it's not that big a deal. You could go to the junkyard and rape a few dryers, and provide yourself enough parts for a load bank. Any heating source will do. Just use a little horse sense. Remember, safety first. If you would not run your home built job with kids around, then it ain't safe enough. I once built a load bank out of a 55 gal drum, 40 gal water, two 50 pound bags of salt and several ground rods. Worked like a champ, but my section sergeant threatened to take all my rank and put me in jail for attempted mass murder. It was not safe to stand in a 30 meter circle of the thing. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. Dont over blow the wet staking problem. When it oozes black crud out the muffler and exhaust manifold, its a problem.
I agree, it takes a while for these units to wet stack because normal running temp is 200F. Unless you're missing the thermostat or running in extreme cold I wouldn't worry. Like Guyfang said, when you have black crud coming out the exhaust or see it running down the side of the exhaust manifold then don't worry.

Korgoth1

I think the 803 consumes as much fuel at 1/2 load as the 802 at full load, so no difference if you are maxing out the 802 regularly.
This^ The larger engine will use just slightly more, but not even enough to worry about, the fuel used is directly related to the load applied, regardless of engine size. So if youre on the fence about the 803-802, you won't regret the 803.