• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 wont start/no crank

Sgt Hulka

I personally have had a great experience converting my 1009 to pure 12v. It is a very simple process and detailed in the Roscommon guide in the Resources section. The only 24v components are the starter motor and solenoid. Everything else on the truck is 12v. You will need a new starter motor (gear reduction motors are available cheap on ebay) and Wellman 050 glow plugs or AC60s. Pay attention to detail. Make good connections. Watch your grounds and you'll be very happy. And it's easy to convert back to 24v if you wish to do so. I personally chose the option that retains both alternators... Converting to pure 12v definitely promotes ease of operation and reliability.

justinwregier

UPDATE

Im not that crazy after all :cookoo:

The issue seems to be corrected now after some new parts:

24v multi gear starter
Glow plugs and controller
Pair of batteries

Not sure if the glow plugs got weak over winter but the starter was shot anyway from cranking long... batteries really only replaced because the last few days of starting prior to posting the thread really sucked the life out of them. Now I have 8 years of free replacements :wink:

Starts every time now and hopefully for some time to come. Took a 4 day trip from Napoleon OH to Wichita KS and back just after repairs and the truck ran great @ 65 mph for 1900+ miles!

Thanks for all the posts [thumbzup]

Last edited:

topgun217

Good to hear! I had a small electrical Grimlin for a few days. After cleaning (alot) with CRC and steel wool, "All" my gauges work fine but since I got in a big hurry, I broke tabs off my gauge panel, but the good news is "All is working GREAT!:driver:

jimm1009

I am reviving this old post as I have search and can not find newer information.
1984 M1009.
I have a hot start issue but not always when it is hot. Sometimes it depends on what mood he is in. lol
I had the problem before I replaced my whooped out starter. I have replaced the relay under the dash and also
the power cable to the starter plus I added a heavy ground cable to the engine as well in case I was plagues with a
high resistance ground. Batteries are not the issue. New starter switch on the top of the column as well.
Once in a while the click click regardless. Almost acts like dead batteries but with all new power and ground cables
recently that is not it.
I want to install a starter button for when this happens but need a simplified diagram. My M1009 is 12 volts since I have
had it in 1995 as the DRMO had stolen the starter. I just switch the batteries from series to parallel and kept on trucking.
Obviously the firewall mounted resister went away too.
jimm1009

nyoffroad

I am reviving this old post as I have search and can not find newer information.
1984 M1009.
I have a hot start issue but not always when it is hot. Sometimes it depends on what mood he is in. lol
I had the problem before I replaced my whooped out starter. I have replaced the relay under the dash and also
the power cable to the starter plus I added a heavy ground cable to the engine as well in case I was plagues with a
high resistance ground. Batteries are not the issue. New starter switch on the top of the column as well.
Once in a while the click click regardless. Almost acts like dead batteries but with all new power and ground cables
recently that is not it.
I want to install a starter button for when this happens but need a simplified diagram. My M1009 is 12 volts since I have
had it in 1995 as the DRMO had stolen the starter. I just switch the batteries from series to parallel and kept on trucking.
Obviously the firewall mounted resister went away too.
jimm1009
Well if it just clicks some times and starts other times I'd be looking for a bad connection. Starting at the batteries I'd clean all the connections and terminals, then before hooking them back up I'd do the starter terminals and check to see if the solenoid is making a good connection. Chances are one of the above is the culprit.

Volvo740turbo

Well if it just clicks some times and starts other times I'd be looking for a bad connection. Starting at the batteries I'd clean all the connections and terminals, then before hooking them back up I'd do the starter terminals and check to see if the solenoid is making a good connection. Chances are one of the above is the culprit.
Napa ignitions suck..I just bought one and it doesn't do anything..I put the old one back in it that I just had to " turn hard" to get to I work...pulling the cylinder out and using long needle nose pliers to engage the starting process you will find out if it's going to do it all the time or not.