• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2/3 VIN NUMBER?

Guyfang

Staff member
Trailers are interesting. Its a major item in units, very much accountable. But real control of them is a bit thin. Yeah, we lock em up. Or lock the motor pool, Or place guards around them. But when you "lose" the Data plates, you are simply out of luck. The short answer is, no. There is no other number stamped on the trailer to help you I.D. that trailer. I found this real hard to believe.

I was once tasked to inspect and inventory ten M200A1 trailers. There were 3 Missing data plates. So I went and found a TACOM guy and asked him. He explained to me that indeed, there is no way to I.D. a trailer if the data plate is missing. I told him, "Trucks have additional numbers stamped on them, why not trailers?" He smiled and told me, "Cause they aint trucks." I folded my cards and went away.
Two years later, same deal, different unit. The brand new Motor Officer wanted to make all the junk trailers they brought back from down range look good. Most were missing data plates. So I took the young Lt. to the TACOM office and we asked the question again. Got the same answer, just worded nicer. I still find it hard to believe.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a new data plate and put a number on it. My 1102 came in with 22. Yes, that is the serial number on the dataplate.

Jeff, I'll let you have 23. ;)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ditto, I bought a trailer salad m101 out of ft Polk. A1 or older running gear, A2 tongue and surge ( useless with a1 axle) no data plates at all for the m116 or m101. A2 bed but older round taillights and the separate little black out light.
I just "created" my own data plate info, got it registered/plated in Maine and flipped it after making it civy friendly lights and wiring & Changed the tires to smaller tube type 16's.
Obviously a turn in to DRMO that had been cannibalized/thrown together and something to get a trailer off the books I suspect.

YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks