• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Cold Start - Is there a factory block heater on this truck?

Mr. Chevy

I am yet to locate the plug. Being that these could have been used anywhere in the world (in theory) I would have thought they would have block heaters. Anyone know if there is one factory somewhere, if not a add on kit?

Thanks

Nick

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

As far as I know, the miltary did not have the block heater on the CUCV. I installed a common block heater in mine. I then replaced all of the glow plugs and learned that it starts fine without the heater down to about 10 degrees.

papercu

There was a military add-on kit, sometime you will find them on ebay. But the complete install is a major mod. Use the block heater. From the -10:
1-19. WINTERIZATION KIT
a. CUCV trucks operating under arctic conditions will be equipped with winterization
equipment. This equipment consists of an engine coolant and oil heater, a personnel heater (for
ambulance and those trucks with an enclosed cargo area), and a battery and passenger compartment heater.
d. The engine coolant heater, located under the hood on the left fender, is designed to preheat
diesel engines for starting at temperatures down to -650F. It operates on 24 volts and burns liquid
fuel. It has a built-in pump to circulate the heated coolant in the engine’s coolant system.
Wayne

ralbelt

There are block heaters available at local parts stores, there are several threads on different types, seems that the one that replaces a freeze plug is the most efficient and the one that installs into the radiator hose is an easier install but less efficient.

swyne

I used a good quality block heater. Zerostart 1000 watt part number 3100059 costs around $50 bucks. There were cheaper ones. Took approx 1.5hrs to get the old old and in with the new. It went on the driver side center frost plug. and it can be positioned at either 12 O'clock or 6 O'clock position Its a little tight under there but can be done. Don't forget to drain the coolant out of the block. You'll still get a little bit on you, but not much.

Ditto on the freeze plug heater. I don't have the NAPA part number handy, but mine came in under $30. I'd use a higher wattage one if I lived further north. I have also seen stick-on oil pan heaters, but I personally haven't used them.

I'd love to find a winterization kit, but they seem to be fairly rare items. I wonder if a deuce kit could be adapted to the CUCV.

If your charging and starting systems (alternators, batteries, glow plugs, starter motor) are in good shape you should be able to start down to freezing temperatures at least. The next things to check would be compression and fuel injectors.

Mr. Chevy

thanks for the replies!!! I just purchased the truck and am basically going through everything. On my duramax motors, they are pretty good about cold starts, but on the older stuff I remeber it was a real pita in cold weather.

I will be replacing the glow plugs regardlesss, which I hear is a real pita also (if swollen).

thanks again guys!!

AJMBLAZER

Some trucks got the heaters but not all. It's a standard freeze plug type and I think it's usually the GM one as the one in Big Ugly is the same as the one in my civy '89 K5 diesel Blazer.

Some units put them in, others didn't. Big Ugly came from Minnesota so obviously they'd have the climate for it.

dseelman

Our M1028 doesn't have a block heater. It starts down to about 10 with just the glow plugs. We added a 300W magnetic heater to the oil pan but it doesn't seem to help much. Had a few days below zero and it really didn't want to start. Changing the oil to synthetic helped a little. Now looking into a coolant heater. The problem is that at work there is no place to plug in. We've installed a 200AH battery bank and inverter to run the heater there but with a higher draw (~1000W) coolant heater I'm not sure if it will be sufficient.

Kaiserjeeps

It looks like I have a block heater in my engine. It's in a freeze plug. It has exposed terminals but no cord. Does anybody know where to source one of these cords? The previous owner thinks it was a military installed heater. It gets cold here and we had 7 below zero for a few days a while back. The truck an 85 m1008 is new to us and has not been through cold like that yet here. I'm wondering if the cords are still available.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Before you do an all out search for a cord. I would just change the entire heater. It is better knowing that it is clocked properly in the block and not touching a cylinder. Most of the ones I come across do not work anyway and for $35. you can buy a GM one from the dealer. My opinion. It may be worth your while.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the mil-spec heater kits for the CUCV are massive and if I remember come in 2 wooden crates , new oil pans , battery boxes , heaters , vents , cargo tarps , etc, I believe they were specific for each vehicle , 1008, 1009 , the only place I have seen these installed was in Alaska, all the Canadian Forces CUCV's were equipped with block heaters and battery blankets, everyone living in the snow belt should install a block heater , saves your batteries , starter , and a lot easier on your engine , and when your glow system goes for a crap you can still get the truck going,

dseelman

We bought a 300 Watt magnetic block heater for the M1028. It didn't have much affect. Now we are using a coolant heater (NAPA part KAT 14700 ~$35). It makes a world of difference. In the parking lot at work at -10 F it runs off a 200Ah battery bank and 800W inverter for a few hours and the truck starts right up.

Westech

CPL
I installed a 600W freeze plug heater.
I have it on a timer so when I know I will be using the truck I set it to turn on for a hour before I need to start her.
Works perfect and no need to keep it turned on all night. Its just a waste of electricity. It only needs really about 30 min and the block is warm enough.
I also put my 900W HF gas generator in the bed and that powers the heater with out issue if I am not able to plug her in.

detroitmuscle1986

I installed an inline coolant heater when we first purchased the truck (m1028) which definitely helped when starting in freezing temperatures . After replacing the glow plugs and installing new optima batteries it has started once every two weeks no problem down to -15f. It is yet to get colder than that in Maine but I know it would start at even colder temperatures. Although replacing the glow plugs and batteries is a more expensive route I still thought I would throw it out there. Best of luck!

llong66

Hi!, I have an in line coolant heater that came w my truck. not a pump but works on convection.. I have also had block heaters in the past. IMHO, the inline heater seems to work better and as mentioned, is alot easier to install. I have also thought these look interesting, you can do a search for them and lots of different options come up, but this is the best price I have found:
http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/kat_s
Anyone have thoughts on this unit?

EDIT: After doing some further research which I should have done BEFORE posting the link, I thought it had a pump and if so was a real bargain I'm sorry guys, this unit is no different that the unit I have, It does NOT have a pump to circulate, but works on convection. The link below has some reviews on the unit, mentions some parts not included for proper installation, etc. Again, sorry about not doing a better job checking before posting!

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13150-Aluminum-Circulating-Heater/product-reviews/B000BQUUR6

I do have one of these units that I have not installed yet, I had one on a smaller gasser I had and they are really nice. I have thought aout using it in conjunction with my inline unit to heat both the coolant AND the oil.

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24150-Wa...im_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YVKSN0FYVPW1CP6T9Y5

Last edited:

tourus

well I thought I would throw my 2cents in . I have good batteries and glow plugs. both are only 3 years old. my truck will sit out in the parking lot at work -20 regularly this year 12 to 18 hour shifts. will start up no problems. cycle the glow plugs twice turn it over a few time with foot on the floor starts let off the let idle to warm up until it kicks down then leave work. only once had to cycle a third time this year. so fix glow plugs and GOOD batteries I use excide group 31 925 cranking amps. also my truck is 12 volt. I never worry about the old girl starting. I have had to jump start several people at work when there newer cars would not. I live in central Maine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks