• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 question ??

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have a question.Is the m1088 tractor consider to be in the 5 ton class ? I have owned over 300-2.5 and 5 ton trucks.This is my first FMTV style truck.It sure looks light duty next to the M939 series trucks.I am anxious to get to know it better.All in good time.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the dramatic difference is because the old gen 5 tons use a 44,000 lb rear tandem. The MTV uses a tandem that is probably maxed out at 10 tons.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
FMTV rear axles look smaller. They are designed for more ground clearance. Smaller pumpkin and they have planetary geared hubs.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Technically there is no FMTV vehicle. The Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) is a series of vehicles, based on a common chassis, that vary by payload and mission requirements.

The 4x4 Light Medium Tactical Vehicle (LMTV) has a 2.5-ton capacity (cargo and van models)
The 6x6 Medium Tactical Vehicle (MTV) has a 5-ton capacity (cargo and long-wheelbase cargo with and without material handling equipment, tractor, van, wrecker, and dump truck models).

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Technically there is no FMTV vehicle. The Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) is a series of vehicles, based on a common chassis, that vary by payload and mission requirements.

The 4x4 Light Medium Tactical Vehicle (LMTV) has a 2.5-ton capacity (cargo and van models)
The 6x6 Medium Tactical Vehicle (MTV) has a 5-ton capacity (cargo and long-wheelbase cargo with and without material handling equipment, tractor, van, wrecker, and dump truck models).
Valid and true, but the terminology in use in the military is "LMTV" for an LMTV and "FMTV" for an MTV. This gets changed if you are talking about different trucks, such as the "FMTV wrecker" (vs HEMMT wrecker) or an "FMTV longbed" True, these should be called something else, but this is what they were called in the units I was in. Oddly, the M1088 was referred to as the "10-88" instead of FMTV Tractor. You also now have a MTV LHS. Sadly different capacity from a regular (aka HEMMT) LHS. But both are sometimes being called "LHS". This created some confusion between an ADA officer and myself when she said she had LHSs, and I said I hadn't seen any in her motorpool. Argument lasted until we went to her motorpool the next day, she pointed out her LHS and I pointed out a "real" LHS driving by. But the Data plate did say MTV LHS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks