• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Winch Operations

deuce808

5 ton winch

will the winch off the 5ton fit on a deuce.. or are the frame rail too close on the deuce to fit the 5 ton winch....

and what is the manufacturer of the deuce winch or is there just one...

what about rear mounting a winch on the deuce

is there any website to visit where it shouw the variations of the 6x6.. i heard you can mount a PTO driven winch in the M36.... at any rate i want a power source for my M36

Keith_J

I think the cable (wire rope) is actually 6x19 improved plow steel fiber core, 7/16" I have never heard of 6x9 wire rope designation.

In IPS, it is about 18k rated breaking strength. With the wedge socket, it should be at least 15k breaking strength. Using 2-part line recovery, it will easily haul an unloaded deuce from axle depth mud in neutral. Voice of experience here ;-)

TehTDK

Any chance of a higher quality scan of those pages. They are rather hard to read on a larger screen.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance of a higher quality scan of those pages. They are rather hard to read on a larger screen.
They come through fine on my screen. The manual should also be in the technical manual section on SS.

TehTDK

hndrsonj, do you have the number for it?. And I mean I can read it, but I have to zoom on the image and it then quickly gets rather grainy...

Brenda

That would be mine.... It's been posted here in another thread, but good to have here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxnFB_Lz-ss
Thanks for this! I've always done it with 2 people (one on outside to lock drum) but now I can see how to do it alone. I've always made sure there is no one anywhere near pull area as I know it might never happen but I've got a fear of cable snap or slap hurting someone.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Garwood "self recovery" winch on M35A2 is not for, or was not meant to be, for pulling stumps.
So I say the big secret and be quite then after, ..............yeah, maybe.
Winch operation is a two or more soldier job, and would be good to lock the hood open.
The thing is high maintenance, better if used then forgotten.

With winch cable played out ahead to fixed fortification one clears the area, puts truck in Transfer low and Transmission in low forward and engage Winch and truck gearbox at same time. With proper operation one doesn't need a tank, tracked thing to get unstuck. Climb mountains and such a cable reel at a time, well, 100 feet or so. It is meant to help, not be the sole source of pulling.

Most all of them are broke or rotted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks