• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 transmission substitute for higher speed/lower rpm?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Revisiting this topic as I noticed the LMTV has a 3116 cat with a 7 speed transmission. Anyone know what the length of this 7 speed is to the one we're missing a gear in our A3's?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is an allison 3070PT. no way in the world ever would it fit and the front drive shaft is on the wrong side. easiest simplest cheapest way is to put 3053 spicer with od gear kit in. it will bolt right in and use the same short driveshatf to the transfer.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought he was asking about an overdrive automatic? There really is no short OD auto trans to fit in there. Moving the "T" case back an setting the engine forward is another option.

peashooter

Not sure if you wanted to stick with the automatic or not but I spoke with a member in California who put a 6 speed manual Eaton transmission in his m35a3 and said it wasnt too difficult. He hasnt had time to put a thread up on it yet though. Pm me if you want his contact info (btw, just realized you are only 30 min from me)

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is an allison 3070PT. no way in the world ever would it fit and the front drive shaft is on the wrong side. easiest simplest cheapest way is to put 3053 spicer with od gear kit in. it will bolt right in and use the same short driveshatf to the transfer.
Thanks, just a thought. How hard is it to put in clutch pedal ect in an A3, everything just bolt in from an A2?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if you wanted to stick with the automatic or not but I spoke with a member in California who put a 6 speed manual Eaton transmission in his m35a3 and said it wasnt too difficult. He hasnt had time to put a thread up on it yet though. Pm me if you want his contact info (btw, just realized you are only 30 min from me)
Cool another nearby MN member! Tell him to put up a thread already! Just exploring. I have a bunch of 5 tons that go plenty fast, I would like the deuce to go a little faster and/or not be running 2700-2900 at 52 or so. Prefer to keep it automatic so my wife can drive it too, I don't fancy teaching her to drive manual transmission......