• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 finds new home

F18hornetM

I'll look in shop later today for the TM# I was looking in and found the BII list. It did have a picture of a wiffle tree as accessories, so maybe that manual was for M816. It came with the truck.
I'll look them over later and see if any markings on them. All of them look used, can tell by chain and hook marks, but in great shape. Its been fun exploring this truck so far. I've run several commercial wreckers but never a military one. So far all the controls work for the boom and winches. Only the rear throttle is seized up, so that not bad.
The TM shows a switch for electric brake lock, this one has a lever and air lock, looks like a trolley valve for a trailer. It does work.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the trolley valve you are talking about is on the steering column, it is a trolley valve for trailer braking. The electric brake lock should be a button on the dash. That's where mine is.

F18hornetM

Did wreckers have trolley valves?? This is a trolley valve like any other except!!!! It holds the truck brakes on. Just went out and followed the 2 lines, one is supply line from under the dash the other goes to rear of the air pack. Looks like the smaller tubing originally there has been unhooked and capped from the air pack. Its still there just moved out of the way. Then this air line is hooked to it. I'll have to look up diagrams and see where original one went.

I tried and it and you can roll it a few feet, apply valve and will lock right up. When i was test driving it, the fellow said the parking brake doesn't work, they just chocked when parked but used this [trolley] valve for winching. :shock: There is no button on the dash like the TM says. a Few empty holes, but no switch.

I keep finding strange stuff on this truck, like the gas generator where the pass fuel tank was and invertor under passenger seat. But who ever did the work put the stuff in like it was made there. Its kinda like exploring!!!:)

Thanks for all the ideas.

F18hornetM

The TM I was looking in that had the listing BII equipment is 9-2320-211-10. It came with the truck and is M39 series operators manual. 1977 it says. It shows the regular wiffle tree and tow bar, like ive seen before. This book is 10 years newer than the truck wonder if something changed.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked through TMs and found I think is called B2 list for a wrecker.
OK - Who else got suckered into thinking there was a "new" list for wrecker kit that included weird stuff! B2 indeed. doh! (Not Roman numeral 2 - it's 'Bee', 'Eye', 'Eye': Basic Issue Items)!!!!

But seriously - went through the BII for the M62 - also covers the M543 according to page 5 and compared it to the Bii for the 816..
Nothing too remarkable, load more detail on the welding kit, hand tools etc., but basics like towbar and Whiffle tree are the same.

F18hornetM

Did I not correct the reference to "BII" in my last post??
No one is suckered into thinking anything. Just simple questions about items I cant find in TMs. If you've never seen those attachments before thats cool. They may not even have been for this truck who knows. Apparently you don't know same as me.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did I not correct the reference to "BII" in my last post??
Yes you did - I was still going off half cocked from the previous one!! Hadn't realised that you talking about the same thing, still thought there was a B2 we needed to discover with the things like on the pallet.
No one is suckered into thinking anything.
Oh no - I was the one that thought you had found a new holy grail!! I am that sucker. It didn't dawn on me that it was a typo!

No harm no foul.

All us wrecker types welcome you to the fold and look forward to seeing your truck and the progress as you discover the bottomless pit that is military wrecker ownership.

Re kit and TM questions - keep em coming!!!!

F18hornetM

No problem and thanks a lot. Its fun exploring this thing. Lot of strange things on this truck you guys can help me with. A lot may have been added by previous owner. I tried the inverter under the passenger seat today and it works. I think I commented that the previous owners didn't maintain it like a show truck, but rather a work truck. They used it to change dozer tracks and construction equipment stuff. Everything is greased and works. Except rear throttle and parking brake [missing]That probably explains all the different stuff on it. But all good by me. It will take me awhile to get it fixed up and painted as I have an M37 in the shop now. Along with other chores like work etc.. time is precious:whistle:
Thanks again for everyone's ideas.

red

Did wreckers have trolley valves?? This is a trolley valve like any other except!!!! It holds the truck brakes on. Just went out and followed the 2 lines, one is supply line from under the dash the other goes to rear of the air pack. Looks like the smaller tubing originally there has been unhooked and capped from the air pack. Its still there just moved out of the way. Then this air line is hooked to it. I'll have to look up diagrams and see where original one went.

I tried and it and you can roll it a few feet, apply valve and will lock right up. When i was test driving it, the fellow said the parking brake doesn't work, they just chocked when parked but used this [trolley] valve for winching. :shock: There is no button on the dash like the TM says. a Few empty holes, but no switch.

I keep finding strange stuff on this truck, like the gas generator where the pass fuel tank was and invertor under passenger seat. But who ever did the work put the stuff in like it was made there. Its kinda like exploring!!!:)

Thanks for all the ideas.
The standard wreckers m543/816/936 did not have a trolly valve originally. The previous owner installing one and plumbing it into the trucks service brakes makes sense as a 'winch brake'.

I agree that the 2 items on the left of the pallet look like a built towbar setup, making it where the truck could lift tow vehicles that did not have the military front shackle setup.

Wouldn't bother replacing the stock parking brake if it's no longer there. Even in perfect condition/tension they were questionable for the wreckers weight. Theres threads on here about pinion brake install (for emergency brake and parking use) or going to air brakes, both of which are much better.

F18hornetM

Thanks for the info.
I'm going to install the parking brake just because! it does make a good parking brake. I agree a great s-cam air brake system would be best , wedge brakes, well their wedge brakes. LOL, but this truck will never be used commercially. It most likely will never tow anything. Boom will get some use but thats probably the extent of its use. Lots of veteran, car show, parades etc. Its hard days are over.:-D i will keep that winch brake as it is though. Like you said makes great winch brake. Looking at plumbing schematic seems it fed front glad hands. But it has none.
I didnt post a picture but on the rear of it where the spades would pin in are swing chains for that bar. To keep it from swinging left or right. If not issued items someone gave it some thought.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Found some more stuff in rear under deck bins. Its better than an 1" rope with chain attached. A neat attachment for the chain I've never seen before.
Plus [2] Ames built military shovels. Never know what will turn up next.

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found some more stuff in rear under deck bins. Its better than an 1" rope with chain attached. A neat attachment for the chain I've never seen before.
Plus [2] Ames built military shovels. Never know what will turn up next.
Likewise I've never seen one like that before, but it looks use full. Some of the hidden treasures you can get with a new truck. [thumbzup]

F18hornetM

Well figured something else out. I noticed on the rear air clutch control near the winch the air lines had quick couplers on them. I wondered why you would ever need to disconnect the air lines. Well today I found a set oxy/actylene hoses in driver side step compartment. I thought were just plain old oxy/acty hoses. On one end of the hoses are 2 air quick disconnects. One male and one female. On the other end of the parallel hoses is an air switch. I thought what in the world is this then dawned on me I had seen quick disconnects at the clutch control. Looks to me like they would hook this up to the rear clutch control. Put the winch in gear, then remotely engage the clutch. Pretty cool really cause you could out from behind the winch to engage it.
Got new windshields coming this week as both are cracked along with filter sets. Still need to pull the 1" hose off the rotation motor and make a new one. Didn't get to fool with much to night had to weld railings back on an aluminum duck boat for a friend :roll: as you all know,other chores never seem to end.

F18hornetM

Got the new parking brake assembly today, along with 2 new windshields. Hope in next few days work on it a little. Need to order service filters and service the thing. Eventually I may sell some of the blocks since I don't need 14 of them.:whistle:

F18hornetM

Got to work on it a little. The flow control valve on the extend/retract cylinder was cracked right in the threads. Have checked every where for one and have had no luck. Guys at Memphis equipment were very nice and tried to find me one. I ended up just making a new hose and leaving it out. its not a check but appears to be a flow control valve or regulator. After running the boom i cant really see any difference in operation. I assume its purpose it to make the extend and retract speeds the same.

Ran down road today for first time and discovered something i didn't expect. i ran through the gears [no rocket mind you] and when I hit 4th gear just barely get up rpm.. Went to go to 5th and grind up a storm. So i went back home and played with in yard. put transfer in low range so could go through all the gears. Ran through gears again and when went to 5th... it was a lower gear than 4th :idea: It hit me this is not an OD transmission. I checked the data plate on the dash and indicates same shift pattern as my M35 and M813. Obviously this trans has been replaced at some point with an older non-OD trans. After using the correct shift pattern it did run better but still dead to the world in power.

Engine runs great, starts easy and all filters have been replaced. Even fuel tank pumped out and new fuel. tank was pretty clean. I just did all this because I didn't know when was done last. I had never ran more than around the yard. I did notice that it would not get above 2000 rpm. Seems I'm missing a few rpms here. Haven't had time to check into the correct max rpm, but was thinking it was like 2800 or something. Will dig a little deeper. I don't run my trucks hard but this one is a dog on power.
Any thoughts from others is appreciated while I research some troubleshooting. Not enough hours in the day

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Got to work on it a little. The flow control valve on the extend/retract cylinder was cracked right in the threads. Have checked every where for one and have had no luck. Guys at Memphis equipment were very nice and tried to find me one. I ended up just making a new hose and leaving it out. its not a check but appears to be a flow control valve or regulator. After running the boom i cant really see any difference in operation. I assume its purpose it to make the extend and retract speeds the same.

Ran down road road road today for first time and discovered something i didn't expect. i ran through the gears [no rocket mind you] and when I hit 4th gear just barely get up rpm.. Went to go to 5th and grind up a storm. So i went back home and played with in yard. put transfer in low range so could go through all the gears. Ran through gears again and when went to 5th... it was a lower gear than 4th :idea: It hit me this is not an OD transmission. I checked the data plate on the dash and indicates same shift pattern as my M35 and M813. Obviously this trans has been replaced at some point with an older non-OD trans. After using the correct shift pattern it did run better but still dead to the world in power.

Engine runs great, starts easy and all filters have been replaced. Even fuel tank pumped out and new fuel. tank was pretty clean. I just did all this because I didn't know when was done last. I had never ran more than around the yard. I did notice that it would not get above 2000 rpm. Seems I'm missing a few rpms here. Haven't had time to check into the correct max rpm, but was thinking it was like 2800 or something. Will dig a little deeper. I don't run my trucks hard but this one is a dog on power.
Any thoughts from others is appreciated while I research some troubleshooting. Not enough hours in the day
I believe it should have a non overdrive transmission stock. Gassers and multifuels had non overdrive, macks had the overdrive (and m809 series trucks with the cummins).

F18hornetM

Thanks for thoughts.
I wonder why the data plate above the steering wheel shows its shift pattern as an OD one? It looks old and weathered not like someone just replaced it. The data plate says M543A2 1968, it has an LDS motor in it. A non -overdrive trans is not really an issue for me as i use for parades and shows and around home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks