• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M62 wrecker

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As some of you know, I got a 53 m62 wrecker at the begining of this year. I fixed the starter and tinkered with some of the other features. The rear winch worked, the front will work with a little time and effort, the crane section had no fluid in it. I have read that the reserve tank holds about 60gal of hydraulic oil. That expense has been out of my reach until Thursday. I picked up some 5gal buckets cheap. I only had time to dump it in the tank on Thurs. Friday I got around to starting the truck and with fingers crossed, I tried out the boom. First off I tested extending the boom. It moved out and in just fine. WOOO HOOO! Next I tried lowering the hook. Aside from lack of weight on the hook, it worked good. Next came a left and then right swing, Awesome. Then I decided to raise the boom. It got almost all the way up and blew a hole in a hose. I was talking with some people about my project and one of the guys asked why I didn't use ATF. I had never thought about it, and wanted to ask what everyone thought about it. Do you guys who have wreckers use Hydraulic oil exclusivley? I have not priced ATF, but if it is considerably cheaper, it might be a good option. What says you?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been using SAE 30 in mine (Thanks Mike). Works great but remember, it rarely gets below 900° here.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Use the recommended fluid. Hyd repairs can be expensive. I use 3 types of hyd. fluid. One cost twice as much as the AW32 stuff. Can't remember what it is called right now. Sold as tractor/transmission fluid. This fluid has a long list of factory approved specs. on the pail, like the Hy-Tran-5 rating for my skid steer. Keep in mind it is probably a 'one time' expense. It may cost less to use the correct stuff as discarding sub-standard fluid later adds to the overall cost. JimK

p.s. That old (70') skid steer has about 35 hyd hoses. I have repalced about half in the last 10 years. Hyd cap is ~25 gallons.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to replace the hose! Make sure next time you don't get paint on the rubber of the hose - paint eats rubber, and may have played a factor in the current hose failing.

gimpyrobb

Well, I figure they could be 54 years old, might as well replace them anyway. Maybe I should get the stainless braided shield so I could have some BLING. :shock: NOT.

No.2Diesel

Nice wrecker!!I would stick with a quality hydraulic fluid that has cold weather capabilities. As far as purchasing fluids go...

Between my brother and I, we own 5 cars, 5 trucks, a crawler loader, tractors, and various other small engines that are used and operated on a regular basis AND...requires lots of petroleum products. The days of buying a case of 1qt. bottles is OVER! In the spring we split the cost of buying 55 gal. drums of 15W40, 80W90, Hydraulic oil, 10W40, and a big crate of grease cartridge tubes. A big upfront cost but you save about $175 per drum and if you factor in the time and money spent making multiple trips to the autoparts store over the course of a year, it sounds pretty reasonable. And there's always fun stuff you can do with an empty drum. :D

Jimmy

Good looking wrecker. I use R&O hyd fluid in mine from NAPA, it might cost a little more but I dont' like taking chances on tearing up something expensive.

Also, good luck on the hoses, I just went through a nightmare getting some of mine replaced because they don't make those fittings anymore.

gimpyrobb

Yeah, I heard some were non-standard thread. May I ask where you eventually found them? I know one member here made some adapters to standard thread, but I don't remember his name. It would be cool if he could post that blue print.

gimpyrobb

Well, from that post, it seems like only the rear hoses need the adapters. I am currently working on the front ones, but I know I will need to do the rears soon too. I sent him a pm asking if he had a schematic available.

Gamagoat1

These are not large size hoses, most any construction equipment repair shop can make them for you. Parker Fittings Inc. are making mine. Not cheap, by any means but a good idea to do them all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost all the lines are 1". Most of the fittings are standard but there are about a half dozen that are made out of unobtanium. Things will need to be reworked for sure. Andy Bell (M108) made a few adapters once and I's love to be able to have some made myself. I don't think you guys with the Garwood cranes will need these.

Westech

CPL
Gimp I would stick to the hydro oil. I dont know how Atf or motor oil would do with the old seals. I have run Atf in my snow plows and mixed hydro oil in there too with out a problem but with a $$ unit there I would not risk it. I can get really good deals on hydro oil in 55 gal drums. Let me know If I can bring some down to ya... be good to get out of town and go to the WC again.

gimpyrobb

WC? Is that "windy city" for Chicago? I know how you just love to sit in traffic there for hours at a time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks