• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 Exhaust Problems

Glenssurplus

Hey guys,

I have an M925, and the Exhaust pipe leaving the Turbo, and headed to the flex pipe is bad.

I ordered a new pipe from Memphis Equipment company. When the pipe got here, it is the right diameter, it is the right bend, it is the right everything.... BUT it's about 2 3/4" too long. Our Mechanic tried it to make sure that it wouldn't fit, and sure enough, the extra length is just too much.

Normally, I would just call them back and say "Hey, this is the wrong pipe." the weird thing is that its just too long. I'm just wanting to make sure that it really is too long, and that I didn't miss something else.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What ya need to do is go down to your local napa and get a exhaust pipe shorting tool usually run about 30 bucks
This is also called a hack saw, or a cut off wheel , or a big tubing cutter (looks like a chain wrench with cutting wheels), a cutting torch and hand grinder works in a pinch.

jatonka

On My 925 it's pretty hard to shorten it, flanged at the end and a welded on flex section at the other end. Too bad it's too long to start with. How Much money was it? JT

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It appears you have an a2 if turbo, make sure they did not misship the pipe for an a1 with the nhc 250 as you have a different engine!

The a1 nhc 250 has a flex expansion joint then a flanged connection where it bolts to the muffler.

What is the nsn number for the pipe as you could look in the parts tm?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used Memphis for parts many times over the last 10+ years. I have been mostly satisfied with their parts. However, once in a while, I have found that the parts they send will work, but they have to be modified.

Glenssurplus

Thanks for all the info. After talking with Memphis, they said that this is the only pipe that they stock for the 5 tons from turbo to flex pipe, so we are going to have to find a way to remove a section of pipe from it, and weld the end back on. Jatonka is right, the pipe is flanged, so it isn't as simple as lopping off the end.

Since getting hooked up with Memphis, this pipe is the only problem that we've had. Originally they sent the pipe for the section from flex to stack, and then this one is long.

I've attached the pic.

I will have to dig into the manual again to get the NSN number for it. I'm just a "computer guy" working for a company who buys and sells MV's, so as I've said before, I'm learning on the fly.

Attachments

rrrr

Let a muffler shop shorten the pipe for you. They deal with this all the time and the price should be very reasonable.

rickf

I would cut it in the straight section and then bolt it to the truck on both ends and mark what needs to come out. Cut that out and remount it on the truck and at least tack weld it in several places so you know for sure it will fit when fully welded.

Rick

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the issue? Cut the new pipe an inch or so back from the flange, shirten the straight part in back of where you cut it and re weld it. 15 mins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks