• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Rear winch shear pin options

guns1977

What are some safe options to replace a broken shear pin on the rear main winch? Would a grade ? bolt work as a replacement or ? This was the 1st time Ive ever put a load on it and the drum stopped moving completely. I got under there and saw the hyd motor would turn but the coupler was spinning on the winch input shaft. What I could see is a silver pin with a cotter pin thru it.

guns1977

I do believe that the pin is an aluminum alloy. Replacing with a steel pin guarantees that you will bust the aluminum winch housing. If your load shears the pin, you need to be using blocks.
Thats what I was thinking it was some type of alloy with it a silver pin but didnt know if a grade 5 bolt would be safe to use temporarily. Eastern surplus has this one https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...Shear-Pin-Wrecker-drag-winch-M543A2-M816-M936 but it looks like its steel with relief cuts

guns1977

Thanks, I looked in the TM and it didnt show the shear pin, it showed and listed everything else. Thankfully a member here got me fixed up with one enroute. I attempted to remove the broke one this evening, shear pin 1, me 0.....lol

87cr250r

For a shear pin to work properly it needs to clear the load and not damage the shaft or hub. Sticking straight shank pins in are certain to prevent these actions.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a truck guy. But I have replaced several shear pins on several different types of trucks. All of the shear pins looked like what @M35A2-AZ pictured.
When I broke my shear pin on my wrecker, @M35A2-AZ was gracious enough to send me one exactly like the one he pictured. I ordered spares that are like the one I pictured. The cutouts on the shank are in the same position. I'm presuming the difference in the shape of the head is merely a variance between manufacturers.