• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 mirror bracket bolt spinning

BlazeKeeper

Hello,

I'm a member of my local volunteer fire department and we have received a surplus M998 to replace our current brush truck. The bottom mirror bracket on the passenger side won't tighten up. The bolt just spins. I can't tighten it or loosen it. This is the style of mirror I'm working with.

mirror.jpe http://nebula.wsimg.com/obj/MjJEQUU...2MjczNmU4OGNlNzY5MjlkZDBjMDIxN2ZhMDA6Ojo6OjA=

Anyone have any tips or tricks? Is there a nut on the back side that I can get to somehow?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per the illustration , it looks like the bolt threads into a "rivnut", not a captive nut on the inside. Rivnuts are common in aluminum structures.
Try to grab the collar of the rivnut, not much material there though. May have to apply a little American ingenuity.
May have to pull it out and install a plate nut.

BlazeKeeper

I didn't notice that when I posted the link. The A post is smooth under the bracket, not like there's a threaded insert in there. I'll try and get a picture of it later this afternoon. Or at the very least try and find a more accurate picture.

TedG

Sometimes you can put pressure on the rivnut and then turn the bolt. Try pulling the bracket towards you, else cut off and start over.

KansasBobcat

When installing new fastener put a little anti-seize on the threads. I would rather have to tighten the mirror than install new rivnut. Also some people put some epoxy on the outside of the rivnut when installing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks