• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a m101a2 dump

monkster

I am sure this is descussed. I pulled the two pins to make the trailer dump, it would not. (w/ a load of rock and jumping on the back still would not) I than notice that the wireing to the tail lights were routed to where they would rip out and the steel brake line would brake. What needs to be done to make these triliers ready to dump ??

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't got my M101A2 yet (still waiting on EUC) so I have no firsthand experience on this. From what I understand you have to lock the trailer brakes and then back up to get them to dump.

I've heard of people having brake line issues when dumping. I'd say a section of brake hose is needed where the hinge point is. That metal line isn't going to bend too many times before it breaks.

simoncrk

I have the same trailer. First you have to adjust the wiring harness so that when it does dump, it doesn't tear loose. Next pull the pins and set the two brake handles. then get in your vehicle and back up. That's IT!!!! setting the pins back into tow position is a pain unless you put smaller ones in them.

Crash_AF

He has an A2 with hydraulic brake lines. Not sure what to do to fix that as I don't have one... LOL

I do know that you pull the front pins and set the parking brake, then back up the truck to get it to dump, but I don't know what to do to solve the brake/wiring issues.

Later,
Joe

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake lines should have a coil in them that allows the flex. I believe the same with the wires. With mine I fished my new 4-pin connecter through the A Frame and attached scotch locks to the 4-wires that matched up using the wire diagram in the TM. I believe these trailers are ready to dump with no modificatons. If your parking brakes are not working use wheel chucks when backing up. I've dumped at least 50 loads of bank run gravel. Another modification was to install (weld) stops on the A-frame behind the brackets with the bolts that you converted to hitch pins. These trailers are Awesome dump trailers when you figure it out, I just bought another one. Bob.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What really needs to be done is cut out a small section of line, reflare it and ass a small section of brake hose.

Nick

The brake lines aren't a problem on my 101, the cables for the brakes go up with the box. But with the electrical box on the front of the box, I did hafta make some modifications to the spare tire carrier I mounted on front. And the electrical cable has to be removed from the junction box because of the same tire carrier.

But what I did notice, is that the box wont dump with the tire on it, and will without it, so Im guessing the load has to be perfectly balanced in order to get the box to tilt.

Nick

Attachments

Last edited:

monkster

I have rerouted the wiring to the A frame, and loosen the bolt ( span tight )
were the piviot point is. Not dumped it yet it was a nasty day to today. The brake line has a male end than a coupling back to male were the flex would be.

monkster

I got my m101a2 to dump . I readjusted the wiring as earlier mentioned. I broke my Proto socket wench split a socket and finly got the bolts loose at the pivit point. I used 7/16 bolts to repin at the hold downs< but there needs to be a limit block because when the bed comes back down it goes past the brackets and you have to real line the pins.

motorpoolmonkey

after a little more research I see that the break line and wiring issues are the least of my worries when reengineering a m101 into dump trailer. the rear attachment point of the tongue IS NOT A PIVOT POINT IN STOCK FORM. A compleate redo of the rear mounting point is a must or some one will get hurt.

Attachments

Last edited:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"and ass a small section of brake line" I've done a lot of things to these trucks, but have NEVER quite figured out how they do that! BTW Kenny.....something on your mind??? rofl

natem

May I point out the 101 series trailers were not designed to dump. By making these modifications you will void the manufacture's warranty.rofl In all seriousness be very careful the geometry is all wrong, it might work but that don't make it right.

Nate