• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manual Transmission Swaps?

hellpounder

I'm wanting to swap out the automatic for a manual in an M934. Sure, I know there is fab work to do, making sure clutch components are compatible and working right, maybe a custom bellhousing, etc., might even be costly, but I'm not concerned. I'd like to find something that will work for the 6CTA, the transfer case, and of course is torque rated high enough to handle everything.

I've tried looking for discussions on this, but haven't come across anything yet.

I'm not particularly picky about the number of gears it has, more concerned with reliability and compatibility.

Any info you guys have about doing this would be appreciated. Thanks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a std SAE #2 flywheel housing, and there is plenty of room, so you have lots of options...
Besides adapting a pedal (plus pump and slave cylinder for hyd operation) you will need a manual FW and a 14" clutch disc & PP.

One possible solution: the Spicer 6453 with a 0.79:1 5th OD from a M809 series will bolt right in, and it already has the correct bell housing with TO bearing and lever.

hellpounder

It's a std SAE #2 flywheel housing, and there is plenty of room, so you have lots of options...
Besides adapting a pedal (plus pump and slave cylinder for hyd operation) you will need a manual FW and a 14" clutch disc & PP.

One possible solution: the Spicer 6453 with a 0.79:1 5th OD from a M809 series will bolt right in, and it already has the correct bell housing with TO bearing and lever.
Oh, sweet. I was worried the 8.3l would be too small for the Spicer since the 250 NHC has such a large displacement, but that's actually what I wanted to use. I'll see what all parts I'll need, and where all I need to get them. I see Eastern Surplus has at least a few things. Might have to do a tad bit of fab to get it lined up and secured right, but I'd love to give it a shot.

Thanks a bunch.

hellpounder

I think there was quite a bit of useful information on trans choices and clutch challenges buried in this thread somewhere between all the mom and sister jokes.

Cool, I'll dig through it. Thanks for sharing.

Also, I love Sunman. Used to be a field tech and one of our sites was the little gas station in town.

hellpounder

Correction - some M934s have been swapped with the 8.3L 6CTA, others have the 250 NHC. Would be extra easy to just swap it to the 250.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks