• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modification thread for 24 volt battery for MEP-701A (MEP-016B with sound enclosure)

Triple Jim

Those lawn tractor batteries can be amazing if you get a decent one. I've had the original one that came in my mower for 7 years now, and it cranked the engine for a good 30 seconds on the first startup this year without a problem. On the other hand, a crummy one is lucky to make it two seasons.

goldneagle

I was wondering if anyone came up with some sort of cart or wheeled platform for moving this generator around the yard. I need to add some sort of pneumatic tires and wheels to allow me to move this generator across my wet yard during a storm. Anyone done a mod like that?

goldneagle

I just bought: '1200-Lb. Capacity Yard Cart' by Gorilla Carts. I did hours of research for a yard cart that can handle the heavy generator and not tip over. It has 13" pneumatic tires -so it should make it across my yard even in rainy weather. I read a lot of customer reviews before choosing the cart. Many similar carts had complaints of tilting over when rolling over uneven terrain.

Attachments

Crawdaddy

I have been looking for a solution to dragging the set around my wet yard too. BTW, Harbor Freight casters don't work...:smile: Where did you get that cart from and how much was it?

goldneagle

I have been looking for a solution to dragging the set around my wet yard too. BTW, Harbor Freight casters don't work...:smile: Where did you get that cart from and how much was it?
Yep I bet those casters sank in that wet muck! I have a real nice set of heavy duty casters, but i know they will not work in the yard when the ground is wet. And we know that the ground will be soaked when we need to use the generator!

The nice thing about this cart is that you can also attach it to your tractor mower.

AMAZON.com for $169.99 with free shipping. PM SENT

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

Thanks for the link. That's sure a ton of money for a cart, even with it having a 1200 pound rating! I think I'm going to go for Harbor Freight's cheapest trailer. I can throw the genset and fuel, wire, and other supplies on it and drag it on the highway.

jonster

I just picked up another 701a, this one has a battery reading about 7 volts. Do you think it is too far gone? I have a friend who says he can de-sulfate it with his arc welder. These batteries seem hard to come by. Any thoughts?

steelypip

I just picked up another 701a, this one has a battery reading about 7 volts. Do you think it is too far gone? I have a friend who says he can de-sulfate it with his arc welder. These batteries seem hard to come by. Any thoughts?
He's not really going to 'de-sulfate' it, what he's going to do is blast so much current through the short between the plates (which may or may not be sulfate) that it explodes/vaporizes the short and allows the cell to work normally again. In so doing, you can end up with a lot of little pieces of battery and battery acid all over the landscape. It does often work, and given the stupid amount of money these batteries cost, it's probably worth a try. But I'd make sure I was wearing lots of PPE and the battery was well away from anything that I cared about, ideally in a steel box that would catch the shrapnel.

I got a battery exactly like this with my MEP-701A and I haven't done the shock treatment to it yet. If I can't get it to come back to life, I figure a pair of motorcycle batteries should fit in the stock footprint (I don't like cutting up the ASK if I can avoid it), and given how puny the one-lung Onan is, I don't anticipate a pair of 14 AH motorcycle batteries having any trouble spinning the thing over.

goldneagle

I decided to modify the unit for use with 2 lawn tractor batteries after a remark from a member about availability of the 4HN being rare and expensive. The lawn tractor batteries can be found in a lot of stores in our local area for quick replacement. I do not need trouble with battery in hurricane weather.

Bigb2227

I HAVE A MEP 701A AND I'M TRYING TO FIND INFO ON WITCH CABLES ARE POS AND WITCH ARE NEG?? I AM TRYING TO HOOK UP MY 2 WALMART 12 V LAWN 230CCA BATTERIES. THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER OWNED. SO,,, I'D RATHER ASK THAN FRYING MY BATTERIES RIGHT OFF THE BAT. ANY INFO ON WOULD BE GREAT..:carnac:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks