• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce buyer (MAYBE) Questions

bigbird1

I might have a chance to buy a mid 70's kaiser deuce and half, it has a box (BED) and turbo under the hood, no winch , and has sat a while in a barn, it will need both battery's and leaked brake fluid when parked a few years ago maybe 5? also has something living in center seat ( half gone) and bad soft top. and broken front window, also needs paint, so i assume the brakes will need gone through ,lines, wheel cylinders , ect. any advice and idea on value?????

Last edited:

gungearz

Welcome neighbor... If the price is right. Buy it. The deuce is probably the cheapest MV out there. Providing you have the space for it. It dosnt take up any more room then a '57 caddy. Just more head space is required and you can burn used motor.oil for fuel. Can't beat that. Where in indiana are you? You do not have your city in your avitar.

DieselBob

First thing to find out before going any further is does the owner have a transferable title for that truck with matching vin number. I wouldn't conceder it without a clean title. Next step would be to see if you can get it started with some fresh batteries and fuel. Nothing would ruin your day like towing/hauling it home only to find out the engine was locked up or had a rod knock or the like. Brake parts are easy to come by and do not require any special tools to work on. Are you handy with basic tools ? These are old trucks and require frequent service to keep them happy. If the engine runs good and the body is pretty solid I could see $1K maybe a little more. Does it need tires and how many. If you want to stay with the 9.00X20 NDT they are easy to get. Just some of my thoughts.

bigbird1

Welcome neighbor... If the price is right. Buy it. The deuce is probably the cheapest MV out there. Providing you have the space for it. It dosnt take up any more room then a '57 caddy. Just more head space is required and you can burn used motor.oil for fuel. Can't beat that. Where in indiana are you? You do not have your city in your avitar.
gungearz, I'm south of Valpo about 40 miles , I work on heavy equipment so the deuce is not a problem, just wondering if they had any known problems to look for. it may be a problem to jump, to see if it runs, maybe the jumper pack on one battery and the truck on the other , how often do the brakes cause problems with the mud and all the go in. mine would have to set outside most of the year. I was kind of thinking around the same price range you all are at, 1000-1500

gungearz

There great trucks... Since I bled my brakes after I brought it home. I've never had a problem. They are air over hydraulic. Sealed hubs won't leak and most of ours sit out all year also.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob summed it up pretty good, but I would want to hear the engine run or in the very least make sure that is loose and no big holes in the block. Also when you do get it running check the radiator our closely as the temp comes up, radiators are rather expensive. Rust is another issue, how bad is it, dueces have their regular rust problem areas and only you can decide if that is acceptable to you or not. If the engine runs and the radiator does not have any leaks that is good, everything else can be replaced pretty cheaply, they are a great truck just need to keep up on maintenance not forgetting this is a 40 year old truck, you are going to have things that are going to need attention sooner or later! Good luck I hope it checks out for you
KK

gungearz

If you need someone to give you a hand to make sure the truck is good. I can give you the run about. And then you can check out mine as well. Just PM let me and know if you need anything or advice. I'm in Griffith and there's a few of us around here with deuces also. So a helping hand isn't to far away.

Last edited:

bigbird1

If you need someone to give you a hand to make sure the truck is good. I can give you the run about. And then you can check out mine as well. Just PM let me and know if you need anything or advice. I'm in Griffith and there's a few of us around here with deuces also. So a helping hand isn't to far away.
one more thing for the indiana guys how much do plates run and what is insurance costs thanks a bunch all you, this seems like a great hobby

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks