• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member and a new-to-me MEP-803a

THANE

Hello,

I'm new, but I feel welcome already after learning a lot from the posts I have read. I live off-grid and recently bought a MEP-803a for powering a future woodworking shop and charging a battery bank on dark days.

The genset is a 2000 with a 2012 Tier 2 and had 9 hours on the hobbs.

After looking it over in detail, I installed 2 new AGM batteries and fresh diesel. It started up without hesitation. It runs smooth and quiet. Oil pressure indicator was kaput, so I'm installing a new sender and Faria gauge with 24v-12v dropper. The load gauge has some tweeked needle bumpers that are keeping it from being adjusted.

I have put another 40 hours on it charging my small battery bank. It only loads it to 1500 watts. Clearly not enough to heat up the cylinders, exhaust and load the bearings. So, I acquired a 10kw space heater that can be wired for 208v 3 phase (7500w) or 240v single phase (10,000w).

I have seen some videos of where they directly wired a resistance load to the lugs and just flicked the AC circuit interrupter. You can see the load meter slap hard to the right side.

So, my first question is... Is that a smart thing to do? Or, should I put a safety switch / breaker inline?

Thanks!
Thane

IMG_20170105_164124.jpg IMG_20161230_141220.jpg IMG_20170118_132337.jpg IMG_20170118_132406.jpg IMG_20170118_132631.jpg IMG_20170118_132637.jpg IMG_20170118_132645.jpg IMG_20170118_132728.jpg

Last edited:

jamawieb

I would recommend breaking your unit in a little more before slapping the big load on it. Just because you want to make sure the engine is broke in before applying such a big load. On an engine with 200+ hours no problem but with one that has just been rebuilt, you want to make sure everything sets correctly. Looks like a great genset.

THANE

Thanks. I will heed that advice.

I run it for 2-3 hours every day. After it hits 180 degrees coolant temp, the exhaust is pretty clean and seems to be getting cleaner.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I know you want to get onward using your generator. I would also point out that since the engine is a rebuilt/new, you will want to use a good protocol for breaking in the diesel engine.

Break-In oil for the low hour MEPS

The oil is not standard oil. The first run oil is what is known as break-in oil. Since it has been sitting around since it was done in 2012, I IMHO would drain the older oil and use a break-in oil for a while to ensure a good break-in.

A post with all the goodies MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts , the second post has stuff you will run into. King Kong tight fuel filters etc...

Last edited:

THANE

Installed the oil pressure gauge. Works perfect!

A little over 40psi cold and a little under 40psi at 180deg.

After full warm up it settled at about 28 psi.

IMG_20170120_120628.jpg IMG_20170120_121404.jpg IMG_20170120_122508.jpg

Last edited:

THANE

Hours: 72

Today, after starting... it ran rough for a few minutes and then the engine died.

On attempting restart it wouldn't stay running after holding in start for 10-15 seconds. Was belching black smoke.

I got it started again and it sounded like it was missing on a cylinder. I was thinking a blocked injector??

I turned it off and let it sit for a while.

Then when it started it again, it was doing the same missing for a second and then it barfed up a good tablespoon of small carbon chunks (sand grain size). Then it started running super smooth. Better than ever.

???

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be surprised if it sticks again after you start the next time. I recommend not running it again until you are ready to load it up. Since yours may be wetstacked you will want to step it up in stages. 2kw or so steps would be ideal. Don't load it if its missing or otherwise showing serious problems when unloaded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks