• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil cooler connection type on cucv radiator

richingalveston

I am trying to connect hoses to my oil cooler in the radiator. I have a new radiator that came with some small brass flare heads with o rings on back.

From what I can tell these work with an inverted flare fitting like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/sum-220667b/overview/

Am I correct an does anyone know the size and thread count, I am out of town and would like to get the fittings ordered.

Thanks
Rich

richingalveston

yes, that was what I was looking for, from memory I thought they were bigger than half inch. The radiator came with two small flare adaptors with o rings that fit in the hole with or ring facing radiator. I have found some one piece ones on line but kind of expensive compared to getting the fitting from summit. I have the lines already. I am trying to not have to many different types of hoses. one type of hose works for the high pressure lines on power steering and also the oil turbo line (3/8 braded pfte). The trans and some of the oil cooler lines will be the same braided 1/2 line. The main oil cooler lines I got from Leroy diesel along with one cooler the lines are braided pfte and very nicely built. The cooler is block style.

Barrman

Rich,
I used Russel part number 640330 to go from the stock CUCV diesel radiator to -6 AN lines on my transmission cooling system. -6 is 3/8" ID.

The Leroy oil cooler AN lines are a lot bigger. -10 maybe? I have them as well.

richingalveston

no, I did not read your post close enough. I am connecting to the oil cooler lines. I am not using the metal lines that run across the radiator. I have a oil cooler installed and I am using 1/2 pipe to connect the lines from the engine to, they pipe splits and goes to the two oil coolers. I need to connect 1/2 NPT to the oil cooler not transmission cooler.

I had my dad check and he determined they were 3/4 -16 inverted flare. I already have the trans cooler connected to the hydro system. I am using it for the circuit that comes from the brake hydroboost line. I have the return line from the steering gear box (which also feeds hydro steer system) going to a separate cooler mounted above the oil cooler. The trans cooler is large and I am using without the radiator cooler/

yes the trans cooler lines are 1/2-20. The oil cooler connections are 3/4-16 Inv. flare.
kept this on its own thread with good title so maybe it will help others. I will update my build thread this weekend.

Rich

richingalveston

Maybe it is not 3/4-16. I cannot find a fitting that matches. found some 18mm and 11/16 but no 3/4. checked back with my dad and he says what he tested was possibly a little loose. The TM's don't list this connection size since it uses the metal lines,

There are also only about 4 or 5 threads on the radiator so it is easy to get the wrong size with that few threads to work with.

If anyone knows of an adapter, send me a link. I am to connect AN fittings directly to the radiator oil cooler connections.

Rich

Barrman

Call Leroy. He sells coolers with that funky non standard GM thread with AN adaptors.

I thought you were asking about transmission coolers. Sorry. I think I know what you are asking about now though.