• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pivoting winch head ideas?

red

An L-shaped leg mounted in the 2" receiver and a snatch block will solve your problem. Will do everything you're wanting, is simple to make and is easily removable. I'd use 2" solid square stock for the leg though.

View attachment 712062

View attachment 712063

Before I added the fairlead bracket to the bumper, my fairlead was mounted directly to the winch. My side pull rigging is a little different now due to the bracket but the same concept applies. My front shackles are farther in front of my winch than your shackles are. I used a shoulder lifting eye with a 1" diameter shank in the shackle mount opposite of the side I was pulling. A short piece of chain was used to center a snatch block in front of the drum. I didn't like side loading the shackle so the lifting eye was used.

You can create the same thing with the leg and block. The leg just serves as an attachment for the block and is laid horizontal and pointing opposite of the pull. Since the block is not fixed, it will allow for the range of movement you need for side pulls.

A step down in capacity...maybe a little. There are plenty of benefits to these winches that make up for that though. Been hashed out repeatedly already.

How so? I've had mine for about 2 years now and use it regularly. My M923 consistently weighs 27,300 due to everything I've added and everything that's stowed on the truck. A single line pull will drag my truck with all 4 rear wheels locked on flat ground. A 2 part line requires using a rear anchor to hold the truck in place because it will drag all 6 wheels. Some custom field chocks are in the works for this reason.

This summer I pulled 17 stumps in my back yard that ranged from 7" to 13" in diameter in roughly 3 hours. The only problem was keeping the truck in place. Not the first overload, failure or even drained batteries.

It was used heavily during the clean-up after the hurricane in Florida due to the massive amount of trees we lost in Georgia. It regularly pulls whole trees up the steep creek banks on our property so they can be attached directly to the truck and drug home for firewood.

I'm not sure I can ask anything more of mine and be disappointed. You have experience with these winches that suggests otherwise?
His initial statements were suggesting this was on a 5 ton wrecker, about 40k compared to the 23k ish of a 5 ton cargo like yours. So what would take a 2 line pull with a 20k PTO winch is going to require a 3 line pull with the 18k (again, figuring the wrecker as initially suggested).

No one is saying that a electric warn 18k is a bad winch, just pulling a 20k PTO and swapping it for that on a 40k pound wrecker is not exactly a good idea.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An L-shaped leg mounted in the 2" receiver and a snatch block will solve your problem. Will do everything you're wanting, is simple to make and is easily removable. I'd use 2" solid square stock for the leg though.

View attachment 712062

View attachment 712063

Before I added the fairlead bracket to the bumper, my fairlead was mounted directly to the winch. My side pull rigging is a little different now due to the bracket but the same concept applies. My front shackles are farther in front of my winch than your shackles are. I used a shoulder lifting eye with a 1" diameter shank in the shackle mount opposite of the side I was pulling. A short piece of chain was used to center a snatch block in front of the drum. I didn't like side loading the shackle so the lifting eye was used.

You can create the same thing with the leg and block. The leg just serves as an attachment for the block and is laid horizontal and pointing opposite of the pull. Since the block is not fixed, it will allow for the range of movement you need for side pulls.

A step down in capacity...maybe a little. There are plenty of benefits to these winches that make up for that though. Been hashed out repeatedly already.

How so? I've had mine for about 2 years now and use it regularly. My M923 consistently weighs 27,300 due to everything I've added and everything that's stowed on the truck. A single line pull will drag my truck with all 4 rear wheels locked on flat ground. A 2 part line requires using a rear anchor to hold the truck in place because it will drag all 6 wheels. Some custom field chocks are in the works for this reason.

This summer I pulled 17 stumps in my back yard that ranged from 7" to 13" in diameter in roughly 3 hours. The only problem was keeping the truck in place. Not the first overload, failure or even drained batteries.

It was used heavily during the clean-up after the hurricane in Florida due to the massive amount of trees we lost in Georgia. It regularly pulls whole trees up the steep creek banks on our property so they can be attached directly to the truck and drug home for firewood.

I'm not sure I can ask anything more of mine and be disappointed. You have experience with these winches that suggests otherwise?
No I haven't used this particular electric winch , but have busted every electric Warn or Ramsey winch we have had. They may have come a ways in the last 10 years or so I don't know . I've been less than impressed with the hydraulic winches then also . The D6 cat I used to run we would snap 1 1/4 cable with out bogging down the winch a bit . It's always fun dragging big dozers and draglines around in the mud.

74M35A2

Be creative. Mount the winch itself on a pivot. Something like the tube collar of an engine stand where you can rotate then pin it at 0 and 90 degrees. Yes it will stick out further by half its length, but so would anything else you hang onto it to get it to do what you want. Then patent it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brilliant! But it’s already been done. So, you ain’t the brilliant one. Sorry. Guys on logging trucks have done this before on the bed of big trucks.

Great idea though. Actually, it could take up less room than something mounted in front of a conventionaly mounted winch, if you did it right.