• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump

dixiepc

Can anybody identify this power steering pump. I came from a M114. I would like to know it's volume and pressure specs.

IMG_20170215_100928-480x640.jpg

dixiepc

Sorry, I dropped one of the 1's when I typed my post. Would you happen to know any specs of this pump.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was hoping it would be something more hot rodded than that.
I'm not sure what you mean by "hot rodded", but this type of military vehicle required readily and easily accessible parts that would be reliable. "Hot rod" parts might have been cool on movies like Tucker, but in actuality, hot rod parts have a shorter longevity and as such require more service and more down time. That would be very bad in a combat situation.

IMHO. Your mileage might vary.

T

dixiepc

Hot rodded may have been the wrong wording. I was hoping that it might put out at least 5 or 6 GPM and at least 1650 psi.

3000gt

Someone posted the newer pumps go as high as 1700 psi but I can't confirm. PSC sells a higher flow pump if interested. That's what I run for my hydraulic winch

kc5mzd

To "hot rod" the pump -
They usually have a spring putting pressure on a steel ball that acts as a internal pressure relief valve. Usually to increase the pressure all you need to do is to replace the spring with a new one with the proper tension to add 200 or so psi to the pump. You can either change the drive or pump pulley or both to increase the volume at low to mid engine speeds. At high speeds the pump ports and the external hose size might start restricting the flow adding some inefficiencies to the system. As the military usually under rates things I would expect the hydraulic system outside the pump to handle some extra flow - the only question is how much before you start blowing hoses and fittings...

kc5mzd

For more volume all you have to do is spin it faster. either a smaller pulley on the pump or a larger pulley on the motor. If its a volume issue it will just make the winch or whatever you are driving with it a bit slow. An easy fix would be to bring one extra beer.