• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Winch and Advice Wanted

odSteve

Hi, I'm looking for a pto driven winch. I have a lightly loaded Loadstar 1700 4x4 used mostly for camping and I want a winch strong enough to pull it out of the mud or a snowy ditch but nothing excessively heavy on the front of my truck. (I'm considering a heavier winch for the bed of the truck, but that's another post later on).

What capacity / brand / model do you recommend? It can be either pto shaft driven or hydraulic driven. My parts truck had a big hydraulic driven snow plow on it which I can probably convert to drive the winch. However I would prefer the simplicity of a shaft-driven pto winch, at least for the front of the truck.

Any suggestions / sources / advice etc would be greatly appreciated. I know almost nothing about winches so I posted here, sorry. Of course price is also a major consideration factor.

Thank you.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Garwood CA-514 10,000 lb aluminum PTO winch used on the M35A2 Deuce and a half would be perfect. One person can pick it up.

odSteve

A Garwood CA-514 10,000 lb aluminum PTO winch used on the M35A2 Deuce and a half would be perfect. One person can pick it up.
Interesting! I never would have thought the winch on that truck would be that light. Having never actually seen the winch installed in person, I would have thought it weighed many hundreds of pounds. If it can pull a M35A2 without breaking, it should be able to pull my truck of a similar GVW regardless what it may be loaded with.
The next question then where can I get that Garwood for a reasonable price? Being on a limited fixed income I can't afford Boyce Equipment type prices. Perhaps someone here has one from a truck they parted out?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting! I never would have thought the winch on that truck would be that light. Having never actually seen the winch installed in person, I would have thought it weighed many hundreds of pounds. If it can pull a M35A2 without breaking, it should be able to pull my truck of a similar GVW regardless what it may be loaded with.
The next question then where can I get that Garwood for a reasonable price? Being on a limited fixed income I can't afford Boyce Equipment type prices. Perhaps someone here has one from a truck they parted out?
@RGS20inophir may still have one.

odSteve

I do still have one on the truck. I'm willing to part with the winch driveshaft, and PTO. Shoot me a PM.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk
Hi, I'm not an expert on this forum, although I've been monitoring it for years under the name of odSteve. But because I no longer had the email address with that name I could not use the forgot password link so I created another new similar name, dSteve. But possibly because my account is new under this name, I think I'm being blocked in trying to start a conversation. I keep getting the message when I hit the start conversation button:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Please start a conversation with one of the following staff members: patracy

I add his name to the conversation and still get the same error message.

This is basically what I tried to send:
Thank you for your help. Would you please tell me a little more about the winch. Is the winch driven by a pto shaft only or by a chain or by a hydraulic pump? Is the pto itself attached to the transmission or transfer case or something else? What size cable does it use? And any other info you can tell me would be appreciated. And of course your asking price.

Do you have any insight what shipping might be or the best way to ship it? I'm located at -------, Alturas, CA 96101.

Thank you, Sir.

RGS20inophir

The winch is PTO powered off of the transmission. There's a driveshaft that comes forward on the street side with a shear pin at the entry point of the winch.

I have no idea what it weighs. It looks heavy...

My best guess would be to put it on a pallet and have FedEx freight or XPO freight haul it. I have no idea what they would charge for freight would getting the winch out of the frame and on a pallet.

Reactions: 98G

RGS20inophir

Full disclosure, this winch needs work. The engage disengage handle doesn't slide over, but the drum moves freely. I have not dug into it at all, but there is evidence of frequent winching on the fairleads.

I don't know what the market is these days, but I do want to keep the frame extensions so I can put an electric winch in place.

If you are looking more local, about 20 years ago there was a place just outside of Chico on 99 that had a bunch of trucks.

Reactions: 98G

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been monitoring it for years under the name of odSteve. But because I no longer had the email address with that name I could not use the forgot password link so I created another new similar name, dSteve. But possibly because my account is new under this name, I think I'm being blocked in trying to start a conversation. I keep getting the message when I hit the start conversation button: ........................
That all has been resolved; you got your first account and UN updated, now.
Just a couple more posts and you should be able to use your PM or "Conversation" feature without hurdles.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter what winch you get I would also be looking for a snatch block of needed capacity for that just in case situation!!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a good M35 winch as well.

No PTO or drive shaft, but chances are they wouldn't be right for your application.

Located just outside the Phx metro.

odSteve

I have a good M35 winch as well.

No PTO or drive shaft, but chances are they wouldn't be right for your application.

Located just outside the Phx metro.
hi, I'm sure the pto box would not be correct either, unless it was for a '60's IH 5-speed. I'm open to all offers.
Any pictures?
Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks