• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting yr deuce in a trk pull

monkster

I know its a matter of time since the the county fair is coming that I wil be goaded into pulling my Deuce in the truck pull. ( exhibition only) Any help is needed, and has anybody done this? I also do not want to rip anything out.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't do alot of jerking and snatching and you should be fine. Sometimes they will have the track too hard and your truck will start hoping. If this happens let out of it immediately if you want to save your driveline.

You may also have issues with your hitch height. Most pulls have a max hitch height that is well below the hitch on a deuce.

stumps

Big Case got into a truck pull at his local Hooters restaurant. He was up against a 1T PU truck, and got soundly beaten. There is a youtube video of it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSe8KDrXlo

The moral of his story is probably to put a few thousand pounds of tires in the back of the truck to keep it from hopping.

-Chuck

Katahdin

Big Case got into a truck pull at his local Hooters restaurant. He was up against a 1T PU truck, and got soundly beaten. There is a youtube video of it :
Looks like that video was removed. Here's a 109 doing well:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOuQp91ZBt8[/media]No mention of extra weight, but the heavier box may be helping. Tires 35psi and Low 2nd gear. Maybe the extra weight of the winch over the front axle as well?

dittle

If possible do the following:

1. Weight in the bed of the truck as these things are pretty useless without weight. Sgt. Stewart on here used his M109A3 last year at an event and did pretty well due to the additional weight of the 109 box. Think there is a youtube of it as well.
2. Stay with either 9.00 x 20 or 11.00 x 20 tires. After watching Big Case try to pull that truck those 395 tires he had on flexed so much that when they released it caused most of his hopping issues (and lack of weight).
3. Low gear, plenty of rpms and keep the driveline loaded constantly
4. 6X6

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a guy with an old bridge truck, a gasser, he pulled the entire run....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8CaZLrkWmo[/media]

saddamsnightmare

April 25th, 2010.

MADDAWG308:

I wish to thank you for the video of the stripped bridge truck at that tractor pull..... THAT guy did it with what, just a spare tire on the frame? I guess that the bridge truck's longer wheelbase might have helped also, but track conditions and tire conditions are all important. I wonder if air down slightly might not increase the traction coefficient? The radials on a deuce do seem to be much stiffer tires then the old bias plies..... A Unimog S404.114 with about one ton of weight ought to also do better at pulling, what with the locking differentials.....

Just a thought,

JasonS

April 25th, 2010.

MADDAWG308:

I wish to thank you for the video of the stripped bridge truck at that tractor pull..... THAT guy did it with what, just a spare tire on the frame? I guess that the bridge truck's longer wheelbase might have helped also, but track conditions and tire conditions are all important. I wonder if air down slightly might not increase the traction coefficient? The radials on a deuce do seem to be much stiffer tires then the old bias plies..... A Unimog S404.114 with about one ton of weight ought to also do better at pulling, what with the locking differentials.....

Just a thought,

I think that it was the tall hitch which took the weight off of the front of the sled.

emr

NDTs are awesome tires , as noted here, the bigger wide tires are great for sand and rocks, alot of guys think other wise but facts are facts, over all a narrow tall tire is superior in mud, snow and such pulls, now matching a tire to a vehicle that is special built does not apply here, That bridge truck is what a heavy pull is all about, wieght torque and tires on the ground, man these trucks are awesome, as for the Mog doing well with wide tires when others will not, i suggest reading a post of mine with a big mog and my 900 tired deuce in slimy of slimiest mud, the deuce won, and pulling a laoded tractor trailer to boot while i was empty. just sayin... :shock:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to pull tractors so I'm pretty familiar with what it takes to get to the end of the track.

If I was going to build a strickly pulling truck I'd bob it and drop in a Cummins. That would let you get the weight down so you could enter the regular classes. The highest weight truck class is 10,500lbs around here. I think you could get a bob deuce down to that. Then I would weld up the spiders in the front and rear and go with atleast a 11.00 tire. You would more than likely have to upgrade some more of the powertrain to hold up to the Cummins but you could run it until it broke.

monkster

I like the ideals. Its just a farmers nite were we put our tractors out of the field in a pull. I have a 3300# weight that came off a aircraft tug I thought about using in the back of the truck. For the power these trucks have if there is no weight in the back it power hops.:beer:

66Reo6X6

My brothers wanted me to pull my M35a2 at a local threshing show last fall but when they asked the track official he didn't even think about it and said NO.
Nice to see some pulling,

SGTStewart

Looks like that video was removed. Here's a 109 doing well:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOuQp91ZBt8[/media]No mention of extra weight, but the heavier box may be helping. Tires 35psi and Low 2nd gear. Maybe the extra weight of the winch over the front axle as well?
This is the video of my truck last summer at a large truck show in Minnesota. Pulled against some trucks that had up to 550 hp. Wasn't the fastest pull of the night but it sure was fun. Pulled 234'. :driver: Worst thing was airing the tires down and then back up again.