• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re: Pyro placement on the Deuce exhaust manifold!

FloridaAKM

Re: Pyro placement on the Deuce exhaust manifold!

A question to the learned experts here on the location of the correct placement of a pyro sensor. The proper place seems to be right above the turbo in the exhaust manifold. A buddy installed his today & he placed it on the rear exhaust manifold in the middle. Will this work ok or will it cause him to have false reading of the engines actual temperature? I have a picture if necessary to show what I am trying to describe. The truck just had the FDC bypassed as it was dumping diesel into the oil pan & the engine needs to be monitored for excessive hi temps.Deuce pyro install .jpg

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been discussed many times. There is no "wrong" place for a temperature probe in the manifold, but you need to know what you are measuring. In his case, he is measuring the pre-turbo exhaust temp of the rear three cylinders. I'd add a second probe in the same location on the front and make them switchable OR go with a dual pyrometer....that way you can check cyls 1-3 and 4-6 separately. They should not vary much in a healthy engine.

FloridaAKM

Its one & done. No more probes/sensors after the boost gauge is installed. He is happy with what he has so I will leave it @ that. At least he understood the possibility of burning holes in the pistons & went the proactive route to monitor that & turn down the fuel if need be. Other folks I know just give me the brush off & risk the possible/probable issues.

A pyrometer/ boost gauge will be a in the near future mods to my Deuce sometimes this year. Retirement planning comes first......

rustystud

I wished I had done more planning for my retirement ! All the paper work and filing forms and crap takes almost 6 months alone ! Plus I wished I had put more money into the 401K ! At the time I just thought that's a lot of money I could use right now and planned on my last few years of working to beef-up the account. Of course that never happened :cry: . As it is if I had just spent another $20,000 I would be getting an extra $2,000 a month now. As I plan on living more then 10 months that would have paid for itself in my first year of retirement !

DavidWymore

There is a wrong place to put the pyro. Too far to either end of the manifold. I put mine in the back end by#6 and it read way lower than just above the turbo. I expect where OP has it will read slightly less than "true" combination of all cylinders.

FloridaAKM

I wished I had done more planning for my retirement ! All the paper work and filing forms and crap takes almost 6 months alone ! Plus I wished I had put more money into the 401K ! At the time I just thought that's a lot of money I could use right now and planned on my last few years of working to beef-up the account. Of course that never happened :cry: . As it is if I had just spent another $20,000 I would be getting an extra $2,000 a month now. As I plan on living more then 10 months that would have paid for itself in my first year of retirement !
Retirement is being forced on me due to the new owners that bought the Chemical plant I work at. They have taken a good place to work & made it very hard to get the job done & destroyed morale. Most of the really good people have resigned & the rest of us are headed out the gate as soon as we find a way. Mine is to retire @ 62 1/2 this year. I put away money over the years so that I can retire and not eat dog food & live on the street. Working till I am 66 1/2, is an option, but it won't be @ the chemical plant. Starting over is not an option either.

rustystud

Retirement is being forced on me due to the new owners that bought the Chemical plant I work at. They have taken a good place to work & made it very hard to get the job done & destroyed morale. Most of the really good people have resigned & the rest of us are headed out the gate as soon as we find a way. Mine is to retire @ 62 1/2 this year. I put away money over the years so that I can retire and not eat dog food & live on the street. Working till I am 66 1/2, is an option, but it won't be @ the chemical plant. Starting over is not an option either.
All I can say is that sucks !

rustystud

There is a wrong place to put the pyro. Too far to either end of the manifold. I put mine in the back end by#6 and it read way lower than just above the turbo. I expect where OP has it will read slightly less than "true" combination of all cylinders.
The best place is at the junction of the exhaust manifold and turbo. You get all the gasses from whichever three cylinders your tapping into. If your only going to install one probe then install it on the back three (4,5,6) . They seem to make the most heat.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best place is at the junction of the exhaust manifold and turbo. You get all the gasses from whichever three cylinders your tapping into. If your only going to install one probe then install it on the back three (4,5,6) . They seem to make the most heat.
Yes, there is a slightly higher temp in the rear. The images show location of my two probes and the corresponding read-out after a drive at idle...

2008 0425 egt thermocouple, crankcase breather, blowby, flame heater, P2090107.jpg2013 0808 0926 hrs, Thursday, at idle after drive, egt, boost, transmission temp,.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks