• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redstone to Austin TX Recovery ??'s

scranch18121

I got a Deuce! I got a Deuce !. My wife then asked me... What are you going to do with that ? I said "what ever I want". She then asked "where are you going to drive it".... my quick response was "where ever I want" .

Now I just have to figure out how to get it home without a CDL. Looks like it is going to be impossible to gooseneck it home because my combined GVWR will be over 26k. Truck GVWR is just below 10k and I dont have access to a trailer that is rated at 16k GVWR and will take the 13K load and still be under 26k. I'm getting a headache !

So it looks like I may be driving it home.

Do we have any members in the Redstone area that could take a review of it so I have an idea of what to expect. "Starts and Runs" could mean many different things to many different people. Just a review of if they think it will be an adventure or a nightmare.

I have gone thru allot of the posts and threads here and think I have a good idea of what to expect. Just would like to have another set of eyes and opinion of the unit i bought.

Also if anyone in the Austin area has any idea of how to comply with the 26k no cdl and still get it home,? someone with a cdl want to ride along in a f350 for the recovery? ...... please let me know.

velociT

You're gonna love it!

You could always plaster "Not for hire" stickers on your rig, and try skipping the weigh stations...

(I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, though.)

frodobaggins

Are there any exemptions to being required to have Texas CDL?
Yes, a few . . .
1. <snip>
2. <snip>
3. <snip>
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes.

Oilleaker1

My deuce auction ends tomorrow, and I plan on getting it! I already have a wrecker lined up once the EUC is done etc. I most likely could drive it home, but they want proof of insurance and don't want you working on your truck to get it running on base. If you haul it off base and get it ready, I'd just buy a trip permit from DOT and drive it. It's under 26001 pounds and doesn't require a CDL. That's Federal, I don't know what the state of Texas wants. Check all fluids, have a pair of 12 volt batteries, tools, brake fluid etc, and then go. PS don't forget to copy off the release waiver form or they will not let you go. Once home------the good times start. Make sure when you vote, you vote for a like-minded person----State and Federal! Keep the Gov't out of private lives and trucks! ;)John

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put it on Uship, trucking it will cost less than the diesel for your F350 there and back plus hotels and food.

Alredneck

Banned
No stickers, advertising, not for hire, keep it simple and plain jane. F350 with gooseneck should have no problem hauling it home. But I would recommend checking Uship for qoutes, as it might ( read could be but not always ) cheaper than going and getting it yourself.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CDLs from AL-TX

Are there any exemptions to being required to have Texas CDL?
Yes, a few . . .
1. <snip>
2. <snip>
3. <snip>
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes.
You don't need CDLs in MS or LA either. Don't know about AL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks