• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retarded Injection Pump, Caused Electrical Issue?

Hollowman

Is this coincidence? My brother made a timing adjustment (Retarded) to the injection pump on his M1009 to try to reduce the heavy black smoke he was getting under load. The day after he adjusts it, the truck has no juice, electrical is completely dead. He jumped it twice and drove a good distance each time but, whenever he turns the key to accessory or tries to crank it, nothing. He's in Co and I'm in Oh, so I can only give him tips over the phone. He said nothing comes on in the truck, no lights, wait, or otherwise, no volt meter, nothing. What we're wondering is if the adjustment he made to the injection pump timing could have affected the electrical system on the truck, or if it's purely a coincidence. Any thoughts on this would be really helpful.

Regards,
Hollowman.

bubba_got_you

Id say it is just coincidence as for as being directly related but it is possible he did something while moving it that could cause it. What to the bats read for voltage?

Last edited:

ralbelt

I would start with cleaning the battery connections, shiney clean and tight. Also check battery grounds. Pure coinicidence on adjusting the timing.

bubba_got_you

If there is not power when you turn it on then we need to find what does have power. Start at the batteries see what the voltage is, then if there is voltage there move down the line. It sucks but it’s the only way to find an electrical problem.
Even if the batteries are week it would do something even if it just clicks.
[FONT=&quot]Alternators will have nothing to do with starting. You can run these trucks without the alternators working, so that’s not the problem yet.

[/FONT]

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Advanced timing for the injection is how you reduce smoke not retarding it.
Advanced timing will also lower EGT, and contribute to rougher idle, if to advanced hard starting when hot will result. Chamber pressure will increase and if head gaskets are marginal advanced timing will blow them.
Electrical is just a coincidence and most likely something got bumped, or left loose.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Advanced timing for the injection is how you reduce smoke not retarding it.
Advanced timing will also lower EGT, and contribute to rougher idle, if to advanced hard starting when hot will result. Chamber pressure will increase and if head gaskets are marginal advanced timing will blow them.
Electrical is just a coincidence and most likely something got bumped, or left loose.

This!

Barrman

Do a voltage and load test of the front battery. If it stays running once jumped, then the alternator for the front battery is working.