• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rivet Information

Vapor Trail

Does anyone know where to get the rivets used on the rear fenders that are domed with no holes in them? What kind of tool does that require? Thank you

papakb

A little history:

The rivets are called Cherry-Max and when installed the mandrel (the "nail" in the middle) snaps off and seals the hole. Cherry-Max rivets are extremely length specific and you need the right one based on the thickness of the material your rivetting. I've bought hundreds of them from Ebay usually sold as surplus because the military purges them when they hit their date code. Sounds funny, what goes wrong with a rivet? It's not the rivet, it's the lubricant on it that date codes it out of the system. As the lubricant dries up the pull, or grip strength changes so they purge them. In the Air Force if a rivet leaves stock and they lose trackability on them they get tossed.

There are other companies that make them along with installation tools but they can get expensive. I personally have a Cherry-Max tool but prefer ones made by a company called FSI. Stay away from the Chinese tools, they break at the wrong time. Pop-rivets will work in a pinch but don't look quite right.

If you look into them you can find tools that will also install riv-nuts (threaded inserts) that'll come in handy in the HMMWV. One of the optimum places to use them is to install the shifter. Getting up under the tunnel to install nuts and washers is a PITA and thread serts make this a one person job.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmwv also has solid rivets...shot in with a rivet gun, with proper rivet set, and a bucking bar....best to just use Cherry blind rivets,.

Vapor Trail

Good to know. I'v e seen the solid rivets and those were the ones I was wondering about. I think I'll use the cherrys everywhere

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had two of the FSI D-100-MIL-1 tools and both have broken when the seals failed and the oil leaked. I have switched to an Astro.
I wonder if anyone repairs these?
I have several manual rivet guns including a very large one that pulls 1/4" steel rivets with ease but occasionally I need a more compact one.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if anyone repairs these?
The mfg still repairs them, Per the technician I spoke too at FSI, all the surplused units leak because the seals dried out and all the fluid leaked out, he says thats why the unit were surplused out of the system, he said if you buy one and when you open the box, if it’s all wet? The unit is inop, or will be after a few pulls.

papakb

I had mine service a few years back at FSI in Sonoma and it still leaks a little bit but works perfectly but Steve is right, most were surplussed out because of leaks. The manual units will do rivets and rivnuts while the pneumatic ones will only do rivets. Both great products though.

M1165A1

I had mine service a few years back at FSI in Sonoma and it still leaks a little bit but works perfectly but Steve is right, most were surplussed out because of leaks. The manual units will do rivets and rivnuts while the pneumatic ones will only do rivets. Both great products though.
What did they charge for service?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSI has a different model that the military got after the early leaking ones.
D-180 is a better unit.

papakb

My experience with rivet tools is that most of the various available adapters are made by the same company and will fit almopst any tool whether it's CherryMax, Huck, FSI or one of the others. The offset adapters, right angle or nose extensions all seem to be the same.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted FSI for service a while back and the reply was they wouldn't quote a price until I sent it to them, and I had to pay shipping to get it back even if I didn't want them to service due to cost. Needless to say I decided to wait.

I really would like to get a hydraulic or electric rivet gun that can handle the cherry-max, as well as the riv-nuts. Or is servicing the D-100 worth it?

Reactions: OBX