• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

running poorly, lack of power, black smoke, at higher rpm. sluggish

kentuckycucv

Its running bad. lacks power at take off. but its smoking like its getting fuel.

So I drop it low gear. step on the pedal and have a sluggish take off. I get more power at higher rpm but lets out a lot of black smoke. Shifting manually. I dont have to but Im getting it up to higher rpm) Ok at highway speeds but its just not running right... Its not running smooth... Driving I keep flooring it hoping I would clean something out somewhere.....Drive 75 on highway...Feels like its??? maybe choked a little, or like its not fireing, maybe timing???

oh noticed lots of black soot in exhaust pipes
smoke is blackish and comming out both sides of exhaust

im researching Done the obvious
Here is what I have done so far.
Ran the tank down put in FRESH DIESEL
Replaced with a NEW Fuel Filter
New Air Filter
Cleaned IP return valve
Cleaned it again
Broke out Glass ball

Whats my next step? Besides buying a new IP

70,000 miles on engine
L

jdknech

do you run it on wvo or wmo? i ran mine on filtered used motor oil/atf and had the same problem... i replaced the fuel filter with a WIX filter(a better filter then some cheap knock off) and ran a tank of clean diesel through it, and it cleared up some, but not much, so on tank #2(diesel as well) i got it on the interstate and ran it hard and cleaned it out(75-80mph for 30-40 min) and it cleared up... i sometimes have trouble out if it again, but not as bad as the first time.. i just make sure to run it up on the interstate every few days and blow it out..

kentuckycucv

My last batch of home brew fuel filterd to 10 microns... was a mix of new moter oil and diesel mix.... Maybe I have carbon build up???? does carbon or soot build up in the cylinder, valves, injector????
I dont think thats it....But Im going to add some K1 to the tank.
Thanks for the IP bolt suggestion.[thumbzup]
and Jdk I ran it hard a four weeks ago on the highway and noticed it ran better.
Its been running bad a few weeks.

southdave

My last batch of home brew fuel filterd to 10 microns... was a mix of new moter oil and diesel mix.... Maybe I have carbon build up???? does carbon or soot build up in the cylinder, valves, injector????
I dont think thats it....But Im going to add some K1 to the tank.
Thanks for the IP bolt suggestion.[thumbzup]
and Jdk I ran it hard a four weeks ago on the highway and noticed it ran better.
Its been running bad a few weeks.
Yes more common though with WVO, try diesel and sesfoam I tried some it seems to work. If you have electric pump I drain the tank, dump some fresh Diesel & seafoam. maybe a couple tanks worth the drain off crap keep just dilute with more D use it once things return to normal. I have never had luck with K-1 burns hot and quick no power similar to gas but allittle worst in the duece.. this just my opinion see how other chime in

kentuckycucv

Yes Im in Hikes point.

Ok so here is what I did today....
Blew air thru my return line. Check
Drive with fuel cap off. Check
Drove with oil cap off. Check

No difference. Still a little sluggish with Petal to the Metal on take off. Picks up as RPM increases. Black noticable exhaust. Not Horrible narley thick smoke. But like a bus. It didnt do this a couple of months ago. bad MPG

kentuckycucv

Injectors??? How do i test them. Timing??? I checked the timing mark on top of where the IP bolts up. they are lined up. I dont know if I should advance the timing or run some injector cleaner/snake oil thru the tank.

kentuckycucv

I went to the parts store and Sea foam was on sale:p... Im going to dumps some this miricle sea monkey juice in and see if it fixes my truck. I also am going to change my sooty oil. then Im going to drive down the xpressway at exsessive speeds and try and blow the crud out of my system. if thats what it really is. Im less than Optomistic. I really had my hopes up about blowwing air thru ,
my return hose... But Im doing all the simple stuff. If this doesnt work Im going with the injector rebuild and Marine tips.

Wolf.Dose

Hm,
seems to be something severe. Did you check the propper setting of the IP. There is a mark in the housing and a mark on the IP fange. These two markings MUST be perfect in line.
If the markings are perfect in line the other possibility are worn injectors which with 70,000 miles is very uncommon.
The correct injection presure is 125 bar or 12500 kPa or 12.5 MPa. Injectors can not be repaired, must be replacedby new ones.
Is the pressure of the pump hight enought to open the injectors propperly?
Wolf

kentuckycucv

Like I said before I checked the IP allignment marks...Perfect. I thought i read a bunch of posts about rebuilding injectors??? Did'nt know you cant rebuild them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks