• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S788 shortened shelter meets MEP 017a

Guyfang

Staff member
Looks good!

I have stayed out of this thread because I only worked on tunnel gen sets three times, all engine problems. The vans were Tip Top Secret at the time and I had to have my security clearance check again before they would even let me near the thing. Every few minutes some wiesel would come over and ask me if I was done yet. Was I glad when we got done!

Well, take care!

04mustang

That's awesome! I'm still in a little bit of shock about how complete this thing is. Obviously no sensitive items but the hardware and wiring all looks complete.

Do you have any insight into how the generator interfaces with the power distribution box and the rest of the utility part or the shelter?

Whats bad about this is I had access to look at several of these a while back that were going through upgrades and I could have learned a lot about how this things are supposed to function. But I didn't, mainly because my unit doesn't have them and I didn't see anything to be gained by learning much about the setups at that time.

Guyfang

Staff member
I really didn't look at the hook up much, as the problems were engine related. Oil pressure switch once, and then some problems with bad radiators/hoses and leaks.

The tunnel gen sets were new, and these were "bugs" that needed to be worked out. I think they were sort of "expedited" into service, without some of the normal testing being done. But that's pure speculation.

The SSG that was my "minder" would not let me look inside the van, nor would he speak about what else got connected to the van. I knew the nut roll from my time in air defence. We were expected to work on things with our eyes closed.

04mustang

So I discovered yesterday that the correct generator for this shelter is not MEP-903, but it looks identical to one.
Its called a APU10KW-5E. They look identical but this generator is made for only 1 output type, 3 phase 120/208. Even the control panels look very close but are not.

This shelter is part of what was called the command post platform rigid wall shelter. Made to go in the bed of a hmmwv and back up to TOC. I have poured over pages upon pages of documents, old power points, and briefing folders about this thing. from what I gather they were updated in early 2005 to this version of shelter with a 3 phase 120/208 generator as well as inputs that must be that same type for daisy chaining multiple of these together.

Here are a few photos of the control panel and of the external input and output ports that have 5 prongs as well. What I have is one of the first shelters of this configuration that has been sold for surplus. That's why finding information about it has been so hard to locate and confusing with the older style setups.

Attachments

cjcottrill

That's the one. The plugs are almost the side of a coffee mug in diameter.
How long is it and would you be interested in maybe parting with it?
The label says 50 ft. I picked it up with a surplus lot about 3 years ago and have held on to it like all my other treasures thinking I would find a use for it someday. I could probably be convinced to part with it. I'll send you a pm with a phone number if you want.IMG_0083.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
So I discovered yesterday that the correct generator for this shelter is not MEP-903, but it looks identical to one.
Its called a APU10KW-5E. They look identical but this generator is made for only 1 output type, 3 phase 120/208. Even the control panels look very close but are not.

Is this the official model number? APU10KW-5E

Do you have a TM number?

04mustang

The APU10KW-5E is the only model number I have seen listed on it.
Dan, they used to be made by keco in OH, now its DRS. That is the older single phase type, the newer one is 3 phase 120/208.

NSN:2815015277234

There is one on epay and another listed on a lot of equipment sites. just google that model number.

Guyfang

Staff member
There are times, when uncle sam, in his infinite wisdom, decides to be "cheap". When the military has a "Low Density Item" or an Item that is for testing, or directly purchased from the manufacturer, they do not issue an NSN and Model Number.

So, every once in a while, getting things like manuals or looking up parts becomes VERY challenging. This appears to be one of those cases. There are bound to be publications for the gen set and Major End Item, but they will not be from the Military. They normally come from the manufacturer.

DRASH comes right to mind. When DRASH first started selling to the military, they sold mostly to the PATRIOT units. When a Unit, has a need, that can not be filled by normal procurement through military channels, they have the option to "use discretionary funds" to procure necessary mission essential equipment". Hence no NSN and or Model number. Issuing a NSN and part number is expensive and time consuming. It sounds like the army did not buy many of this particular gen set.

04mustang

So I have been prepping the MEP-017a to fire it up for the first time in 3 years, my first time since buying it as well.
I did a little load calculation for everything though.
The environmental control unit (ECU) is 3 phase 120/208 at 3.9kw. This works out to 13.5 amps.
The MEP-017a will produce at 17.3 amps while set to 3 phase 120/208.
So I have roughly 4 amps of surplus 3 phase 120/208.

The control box on the shelter takes in both 120/208 3 phase AC as well as 24v DC. It uses a large bank of inverters on the floor of the generator tunnel to go from all 3 phases of 208vAC to output 28vDC. I am also going to install 2 batteries that I have to help in the whole process.
I have been working on a wiring diagram of sorts to show what all of the components in this shelter are and how they are connected. I will post that up once complete.

Guyfang

Staff member
I don't know how much experience you have with the MEP-017A. Here is a starting tip. If you look at the top of the carburetor, you will see a brass screw. Remove it, and you will find a long brass pin attached to it. This goes down to the carb fuel bowl. Pour a tablespoon of gas into the hole, and replace the screw. This will help you "prime" the carb after it has sat so long. Saves on cranking the starter longer, to get the mechanical fuel pump fuel to the carb from the long dry fuel system. In the shop, we used a little oil pump can, full of fuel. Give it 3-4 squirts and that was good. Often the batteries were low, and cranking the engine for long time periods was a no go. Prime the carb, and it started almost instantly. Might hickup when the carb fuel bowl goes empty, but normally by that time the mechanical fuel pump has caught up and the engine continues to run.

04mustang

I have zero experience with a mep-017a. This is my first purchase of one.
I know I'm getting fuel because I flooded the carb. I let it sit for a day and then tried again with a few shots of starting fluid. and nothing, just flooded the carb again. SO I'm thinking I'm not getting fire.
Based on experience with other older gas engines I would tend to lean towards the points, or plugs.

Guyfang

Staff member
Unscrew a plug wire. Remove the plug. Hook up the plug wire to the plug. Hold the plug, with a pair of slip joint pliers, (with rubber insulation on the grips of course) next to the frame. Have your handy assistant turn it over. You should see the spark. Spark plugs should be set at: 0.028-0.038

Do you have all 5 TM's? If not let me know and I will upload them in the TM section.

The carbs flooded very easy. Use no choke with you try and start it.

04mustang

No TM's other than the 14P manual. I'm more or less winging it.
I bought this primarily as a test generator to see if everything is in fact OK in the shelter.
I really have no use of a 3 phase generator beyond that.

Guyfang

Staff member
Good Morning to you all, in the land of round door knobs!

Just uploaded all the TM's for the 5 KW, Mep-017A in the TM upload section.

Later!

Guy

04mustang

Heres a little update.
I changed out the tires and rims on the M105 trailer frame to lower the stance and make it wider to help prevent rollovers.
I have also been busy in the interior removing racks and desk tables and even a 100 lb safe.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I once had to move such a safe. It was HEAVY. Lots more weight than 100 lbs. A two drawer safe. Big sucker. After we got it out of the truck, it occurred to us, (the truck just came back from down range) that maybe something of a confidential matter might be locked up in the safe! Top secret! You know, Ed Snowden stuff. So with the help of 6 other people, we loaded up the safe, and took it to the Battalion HQ. The welding shop drove over in a contact truck and set to work. The whole time under the eyes of the M.P.'s the CID, the battalion X.O. and ten thousand other strap hangers, and I. At last the box was breached! The CID guy put on rubber gloves to insure he did not contaminate the "crime" scene, and pulled the drawers open to reveal.................................................. dumb bell weights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the sound of wailing and gnashing of teeth was heard around the world. Sad, Sad.