• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle threads

shannondeese

I need assistance if y’all could I’d appreciate it. The threads on my passenger side spindle are boogered. Do y’all know what size or where to get a die to chase the threads? Thanks.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used triangle files for years until I found this type IMG_6297.jpgwill be the best$10-20 you ever spent for your situation.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
16 TPI / Ø 2-7/16" is correct.

And yes, a thread file might help, eventually... But no file or die will ever restore any flattened, missing, ripped-out thread sections!

SAFETY FIRST! Be very careful (and self-demanding) there when re-installing the spindle nuts. They must both screw-on smooth and tight, with NO play, whatsoever! Torque down to specs- to test, then loosen and re-evaluate.

If this was a front spindle I would rather replace the whole thing, for peace of mind..!

texas30cal

Correction, that was supposed to read , you can get a thread file, I shouldn’t be typing after 12 hrs in the shop!!! That’s the thread file I was talking about, for really bad spots tiny triangle files work great , I used both all the time in a maintenance machine shop fixing other people’s boo boos.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a smaller version of this tool (I just call it a thread chaser) and it works very well. I ran it through all the threads as a habit when I disassembled/reassembled my LDS.