• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stays running with pink wire removed

rednckii

So I just picked up my 1986 cucv it is a 1031 model jump started it and drove off the lot onto a wrecker. Well that was about the extent of my good luck so to say. Started messing with it going to change oil, transmission, axles, and transfer case fluid this weekend. Already did fuel filter first thing I did the problem I'm having is the truck won't shut off. I've checked the ground it is good to go, checked the injection pump shutoff solenoid and it clicks and seems to work problem is even if I pull the wire off of it it continues to stay running until I pinch return line. I believe it is the solenoid have a new one coming in mail but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. Tried searching but couldn't find anything about it running with wire off. Any help be appreciated still trying to get back into working on these trucks since selling my last one before deployment.

rednckii

Is there a certain way the solenoid goes in there or does it set in that it. Noticed there is a "j" hook on the solenoid does it hook in or as long as lays flush with pump good to go.

Barrman

I had the same thing happen with a new pump a few years ago. Slight burr on the solenoid shaft.

Pull the hose and the wires off the cover. Once you get the 3 screws out, the cover will probably move itself just a bit toward the front of the engine. Pick it up. Just put the new one on the same way. Slide it back in like the one you pulled off slid by itself. Once you get it open, you will see it is very simple.

rednckii

Got the new solenoid put it on works like a charm. Was very easy to swap out took about thirty minutes and everything works as it should. One question though while climbing around the top of motor noticed a puddle of fuel at back of motor valley. How hard is it to change the rubber lines under intake.

Barrman

The best method I have figured out to change the single fuel supply line under the intake is this:

Get a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 1/4 short socket. (It might be 5/16, but I haven't done this in a few months and don't remember)

Get a lawn chair pad, sleeping mate, something soft and flexible.

Lay the pad over the fender, valence and alternator on whichever side you want to go from.

Lay down on it and reach under the intake from the rear with the tool in your hand.

Loosen the hose clamp and pull the hose.

Or, if you or the last person to work on it thought ahead. You could just use the same socket with a long extension and loosen the clamp through the gap between the intake runners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks