• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2024 - May VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. Migginsbros

2. ToddJK

3. msgjd

4. hike

5. hrbergeron

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another sh-- eating grin thanks to the M1078A1's aura—

IMG_3574.jpeg

A family friend: we met 'Bill' in 1973. My wife and I have had Thanksgiving almost every year since 1976 with him and most of his family. If you could see his eyes you'd still wonder what he is thinking.

In the wild, deserving military vehicles cast a spell on folks. Whatever that is, ours rushes a smile to those affected—

Last edited:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we picked her up she looked good though had been neglected for some time.

We started simple on old electrical, cleaning up the PDP, replacing old relays, hunting down bad components.

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2934.jpeg

Found the resistors in the bundled diagnostic circuits (J1939/J1708) melted.

IMG_3648.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

The remote disconnect relays were inoperable and needed to be replaced.

IMG_2886.jpeg

She was only 20 years old though needed some attention and appreciation. NOS parts and tools started arriving.

IMG_3335.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg

When we installed the M939A2 CTIS unit we the CTIS still didn't function as intended. After cleaning up and rebuilding all the wheel valves, replacing bad hoses and kneeling valves we started going through the M1078A1 and M939A2 schematics. Which led to having to rewire a part of the diagnostic harness in the M1078A1's CTIS branch.

IMG_3526.jpeg

With the CTIS working we started on the main electrical system: pulling out the Niehoff dual 14/28v 100a alternator and replacing it with a Leece Neville 28v 200a one better sized for the electrical system's four batteries.

IMG_4007.jpeg

Modding the existing mounts, pulling out the LBCD and remote disconnects; then replacing the 12v feed to the PDP with a Victron 24/12v 70a DC to DC.

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg

IMG_4066.jpeg

IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4062.jpeg

IMG_4015.jpeg

Plenty of power for the large battery bank.

Most recently we pulled the CAT 3126b's ECM to have it bench flashed to 330 horses, enable cruise control and fix the speedometer.

IMG_3541.jpeg

She is a big tinker toy providing more smiles per mile than any other vehicle we've had—

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
msgjd, your wrecker looks like one of those MVs that if it could talk what stories it could tell! Love it. :cool: Looking forward to your campaign! [thumbzup]
the wrecker indeed has stories to tell , it has been around since fall of '53 , just a bit longer than i have been .. it hasn't had an easy life with its PO (a mountainous town highway dept) nor with me, but I'd like to think it at least now has an operator that actually has the MOS to properly show it the respect and patience an old M39-series should require .. it's campaign brochure will be coming soon !

Migginsbros

Back to the Unimog Freightliner FLU419 SEE. We purchased this kind of a swisss knife in August 2013 from a guy in Nürnberg. He got it out from the post by auction and we got a title of release. We know that these Unimogs are shipped as bare mashines to the states. In the states they were equipped with the Schmidt (usa) front loader and a modified Case C35 backhoe. So it was very usefull for us that this one find his way back to Germany for duty.

In 2013 we don´t had our MAN F2000 , so we hire someone to deliver the SEE.

Last year we had to change the seals at one main backhoe cylinder, We ordered seals at FOX seal I remember, and it works. Great that we have the hydraulic impact from the HMMH in stock . This bolt was hard to get off. We heated the bolt , all threads were full of Loctite super , i think.

SEE FLU419 003.jpg

SEE FLU419 004.jpg

photo_6_2024-05-20_16-51-14.jpg

photo_16_2024-05-20_16-51-14.jpg

photo_5_2024-05-20_16-51-14.jpg

photo_8_2024-05-20_16-51-14.jpg

photo_17_2024-05-20_16-51-14.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M62 wrecker was a gasser, and got the A2-rebuild treatment in the 1990's, unfortunately.. The only good part is it also received a new M809-series front axle with true power steering during the MWO... It was turned in Code-A Serviceable from its final Unit and transferred directly to the US Forest Service.. It still wears the tin inventory tag riveted inside the door... No idea of its history there but in time it was transferred under freebie loan directly to a small town (pop <1000) fire department on top of the northernmost hills of the Berkshire mountain range near its boundary with Vermont's Green Mountain range.. It's a logging and farming region, the majority of the town roads are "dirt" and negotiating steep rugged terrain.. It's a good thing the truck kept its 5th-direct tranny during the rebuild .. Having been there myself, i doubt it ever got into 5th gear high range :LOL:

As desolate as that area is, the M62 certainly did not feel abandoned or alone because it had plenty of family to lounge with.. That particular little fire department with its "federal surplus freebie" status managed to amass almost a company-sized Combat Engineer motorpool of military dumps, tractor/trailers, D7 dozers, gravel screens, graders, etc. for free.. Of course the FD did not use most of this stuff thus it was "on loan" to their highway dept.. It sure would've been a great place for myself or other older vets to work with this "vintage" equipment.. Starting in 2013 or so they began to turn in the oldest equipment thus I purchased the M62 direct from the US General Services Administration but loadout was on town property.. I believe GSA is the only gov't-direct surplus vehicle sales venue since the days of the DRMO.

While on the town, the M62 was outfitted with triple-chains in winter and a set of singles on the front.. the chains are still in one of the bins.. It certainly performed recovery for snowplow and firetruck mishaps in winter and no doubt pulled out stuck dumptrucks and equip in other seasons.. It also worked year-round for removing/loading trees from roads during storms, and likely performed hoisting work to put up and maintain their equipment storage sheds.. The wrecker and the other 6x6 trucks in that town most-certainly performed crucial duty during the big ice storm of December 2008... It took a week or more for National Guard and other gov't support and FEMA to arrive to help towns hit hard in the mountains of western Mass, and the aftermath required months of cleanup in some areas. I recall the town bragged to be independently cleared and opened up by the time outside "help" arrived ..

On a lighter note, I heard a rumor the M62 out-pulled everything when hooked to the tractor-pull sled at the local fair. With its weight (>34000#) i do not doubt it... Although its LDS is getting tired (or maybe it's just because of its weight) , all of the mechanicals had always been kept up to snuff and the winch & hoist cables meticulously cared for, lubed, and covered.. The truck came with something I had never seen before on any wrecker, a top and bows from a 2-1/2T for protection.. Just a note, the "05A" USA number on hood is there only for a personal significance.. The truck is a 1953 thus it actually has numbers-only regis starting with a few zeros... For those very observant to detail, I painted the stars by hand , added a NOS surplus pre-cleaner, and installed a set of M809-series fender supports to fix the problem of air cleaner fender sag.. Other than some hose replacements done and regular maint, it needs nothing but paint ..

DRESSED FOR WINTER:

20231215_125935 copy.jpg

20230416_132538 copy.jpg

Next, a series of TASKS, starting with it's earliest days with me:

1st Day on Job .. Hmmm, will it reach high and far enough to build the other (missing) half?
IMG_20131123_124751290.jpg

"Maybe not, but it makes for an expensive swing!" she says

SDC12987 copy.JPG

Roof Removal 101

year end 1356 copy.jpg

Swing roof swing,

year end 1365 copy.jpg

Yes, it even swings at night .. Just don't look into the boom disco balls or there goes the night vision !

IMAG1444 copy.jpg

Expensive post-setting apparatus,, that will...

year end 1407 copy.jpg

...De-rock your world,

year end 1380 copy.jpg

De-limb you,

IMAG1484 copy.jpg

Flip your lid,

IMAG1299 copy.jpg

Makes log entries for you, (btw, that's member "wreckclues" truck now)

sawlogs copy.JPG

Skins your cat ,

20200705_101538 copy.jpg

Yanks anybody's chain,

20220921_121608 copy.jpg

Helps a sick partner,

20200704_205016 copy 2.jpg

Quietly helps babysit,

20200703_180552 copy 2.jpg

Performs post-storm underbody car wash duty and heavy-duty garden hose hanger , not made in China,

20191202_113410 copy.jpg

Helps a jeep fly,

20231018_182612 copy.jpg

Sleeps around with friends,

20190908_171623 copy.jpg

Visits older IHC relatives on a regular basis,

IMAG1519 copy.jpg

Transforms into an 18-ton Austin-Western roller,

20230713_144015 copy.jpg

And is always first in line, ready for duty ;)

20200211_120720 copy.jpg

In closing, this truck has performed many tasks too critical to stop for a photo op, and a bit requiring outriggers and cribbing.. It most-likely will be the last piece of heavy equipment I part with

Last edited:

Migginsbros

FLU 419 SEE
We bought this great machine in good shape. The hydraulic concrete breaker came with her. Hydraulic tools are great for sparkfree drive and underwater use. We collected the missing tools to complete the whole equipment .

SEEcampaign 013.jpg

SEEcampaign 042.jpg

SEEcampaign 028.jpg

SEEcampaign 046.jpg

SEEcampaign 036.jpg

The impact wrench is an add on from the HMMH. :cool:

Impact wrench is verry usefull for tire change.

tirechange 003.jpg

tirechange 023.jpg

:jumpin::driver::cool::cool:
Cheers, Migginsbros

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FLU 419 SEE
I recall the first time I ever saw a SEE and immediately saw it was a "WTF is that?! " A confusing See-Saw moment :p ..

(early-1990's , 131st Engr VTARNG , the most-deployed NG engineer unit perhaps in history, starting with developing quarries and building roads in the central highlands, vietnam .. By the mid-90's they apparently had finished turning in their dozers, earthmovers, 5T and 20T dumps, a few remaining 10T tractors and 20T tracs, and C-HETS to become light-mobile )

Last edited:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What cool rigs to be competing with this month! We are enjoying learning more about each one.

We have been replacing items like the worn out cab air suspension and removing the 2:1 wheel reduction hubs to increase the M1078A1's drivability without reducing her capability. Here is a link to our attempt at a youtube video [since I don't understand how to add videos here]

Thank you to those who blessed us with your votes, hopefully more folks will be encouraged to join all y'all—

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks