• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing with a wrecker

Elwenil

Prerunner1982 said:
I never had to lift tow a vehicle with my wrecker.. however I saw a wrecker operated for another unit attach the towbar to the broke truck, then just use the crane to life it up. Rear overhang wasnt an issue. Perhaps it wasnt the right way to do it, but it worked.
That's exactly how the manual says to do it. It lists a few other methods depending on whether you are on a road or off pavement. The manual should be in the Tech Manuals section. I know I got it from somewhere.

m3a1_ht

I was thinking that a rack that cradles the tires (like those hydraulic jobs on the back of light duty wreckers) attached to the back of a mil wrecker and lifted with the retracted/supported boom might work. Anyone have any throughts on this?

area52

tow

m3a1_ht said:
I was thinking that a rack that cradles the tires (like those hydraulic jobs on the back of light duty wreckers) attached to the back of a mil wrecker and lifted with the retracted/supported boom might work. Anyone have any throughts on this?
I was thinking along the same lines. One problem would be a truck with a high hood but I guess you could lift the boom up. The rack could attach to the pintle hook on the wrecker and have arms that go under and around the tires. You could put most of the weight on the boom.

eddiec

they made those for a while, mechanical wheel lifts, they worked well, except for the strain they put on the cable to lift and hold, bumps and jolts. they were securely fastened to the rear of wreckers, only movement was up and down, the t bar, or head of the wheel lift did the piviting. you need to make it extendable for the trucks w set back axles, and for the ones with extended bumpers.

Elwenil

Just as a side note, Eric (aka Miltrucks) had a 5 ton wrecker that at some point had been modified with a sling and other mods to the rear plate. Maybe if he pops in here he'll still have some pics of it somewhere.

bowlerman

so i have been looking and looking. to pull a civilian20190602_132555.jpg truck very hard to find something so we made this up. worked great today