• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny dip stick and Xfr case size

DEA AK

I have googled the heck out of these but couldn't find anything.

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it.

I just got a 2003 M1097A2.

Can anyone tell me the size wrench I'll need for the fill and drain plugs on the Xfr case?

Also, can anyone tell me how to read this tranny dip stick? The Richie Bros rep said the vehicle was supposed to have had all fluids drained but there appears to be some left.

How much more could I add to get to the XXX spot (I assume the XXX spot is the full???)

Or do I just drain it and add new?

Thank you,
David

Attachments

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not one of the forum's experts and I am surprised no one has chimed in yet on this, but I will give it a whirl.

Regarding the transmission dip stick picture - the engine needs to be hot and transmission up to operating temperature when the dip stick is read. The engine needs to be running, and truck on a level surface. Run it through all the gears breifly and then back to park or neutral and wipe the dip stick and take a reading.

If you followed the above procedure and the tranny was at operating temperature, that picture you show looks like the tranny is maybe a quart and half low. When filled properly hot, it should be at the upper hash mark - no higher.

Just add a small bit of extra fluid with a funnel and check again. Repeat until it is fill. It is better to add it in small bits than to overfill it and have to suck some out!

If that picture is with the tranny cold, you cannot use that dipstick reading.

Regarding the transfer case, I don't recall the wrench size. First, remove the upper "large" fill plug and the fluid level should be up to the bottom of that so a drop might come out. If you stick your finger in there and cannot feel the fluid, then add some till a little drips out. I think I used a pair of channel locks to get the fill plug out as I did not have a gain wrench big enough.

If you are going to drain and fill, make sure you remove the upper fill plug first! If you cannot remove the fill plug and you pull the drain bottom plug out first, you are screwed as you will not be able to fill it!

I used Dexron 6 - same as the tranny fluid in the gear box. That is what was in it originally. If your finger comes out with red fluid, then you have tranny fluid in there. If it looks like oil then you have the gear oil in there. Use whichever you find present.

There are a few YouTubes out there on this.

Last edited:

DEA AK

I am not one of the forum's experts and I am surprised no one has chimed in yet on this, but I will give it a whirl.

Regarding the transmission dip stick picture - the engine needs to be hot and transmission up to operating temperature when the dip stick is read. The engine needs to be running, and truck on a level surface. Run it through all the gears breifly and then back to park or neutral and wipe the dip stick and take a reading.

If you followed the above procedure and the tranny was at operating temperature, that picture you show looks like the tranny is maybe a quart and half low. When filled properly hot, it should be at the upper hash mark - no higher.

Just add a small bit of extra fluid with a funnel and check again. Repeat until it is fill. It is better to add it in small bits than to overfill it and have to suck some out!

If that picture is with the tranny cold, you cannot use that dipstick reading.

Regarding the transfer case, I don't recall the wrench size. First, remove the upper "large" fill plug and the fluid level should be up to the bottom of that so a drop might come out. If you stick your finger in there and cannot feel the fluid, then add some till a little drips out. I think I used a pair of channel locks to get the fill plug out as I did not have a gain wrench big enough.

If you are going to drain and fill, make sure you remove the upper fill plug first! If you cannot remove the fill plug and you pull the drain bottom plug out first, you are screwed as you will not be able to fill it!

I used Dexron 6 - same as the tranny fluid in the gear box. That is what was in it originally. If your finger comes out with red fluid, then you have tranny fluid in there. If it looks like oil then you have the gear oil in there. Use whichever you find present.

There are a few YouTubes out there on this.
Thank you very much, I appreciate the help and input, a few people here just yell at you and tell you to look at the manual. I do appreciate your help and can assure you, once I get out of 'emergency mode' having her able to actually move out of my friends yard. Until then though, it's a mad dash trying to get the info just so I can get her moved.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the TC fill plugs are 32mm
If it has been sitting a long time I would suspect the trans is low, usually as the cooler and torque converter slowly drain back into the pan it will show over full.
That is why you normally check with the engine running.

DREDnot

Pretty much good advice above. From the look of the fluid on the stick I recommend doing a fluid and filter change. The Transfer case uses the same fluid, Dexron (III or VI) ATF, as the transmission and power steering system. 4 speed transmission fluid capacity is 5 qts after filter change. The trans cooler and lines can hold another 2 qts. that may or may not drain during the change. So have 7 qts available. fill with 5 qts and test drive. Add more if necessary to fill to crosshatch

DEA AK

Pretty much good advice above. From the look of the fluid on the stick I recommend doing a fluid and filter change. The Transfer case uses the same fluid, Dexron (III or VI) ATF, as the transmission and power steering system. 4 speed transmission fluid capacity is 5 qts after filter change. The trans cooler and lines can hold another 2 qts. that may or may not drain during the change. So have 7 qts available. fill with 5 qts and test drive. Add more if necessary to fill to crosshatch
Thank you very much.